No announcement yet.

Dash flock accomplished!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Agreed! Want to do this pretty bad now. Kinda wanna do a suede type of material though, mark some reference lines, and put M stitching throughout the dash!;)
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelat View Post
      Could be a bitch to keep clean.
      not sure if that's directed to me or the guy with the black dash.

For me, I don't much care about it being clean on a rallycross car. That said, I just vacuumed it with a brush attachment after the first event and it looked like new afterwards.

of course, take my opinion with a grain of salt. I wash the interior of my car out with a garden hose

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I had no idea any other R3V'ers did this. I saw this on an e36 a while back and it looked so sweet. My wife bought me a whole set for christmas so once i have some more time on my hands i plan on knocking all the consoles out. It looks really good man!
        10 minutes... then we invade China.
        We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
        And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

A guy in the track section posted these.
          More can be found here

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=308963

[/QUOTE]

-
          Project
          Parts for Sale
          Feedback
          YouTube Channel

Comment

Here's how my flock turned out.

During Repair:

Finished Flocking:

Comment

Do the cracks cover well? what are you guys using to patch them?

Comment

combination of glues and baking soda and sanding. with the flock you can't even notice

Comment

wow, it looks great! Im doing this on my cracked dash, have it ready for when my swapped dash starts cracking.
                  sigpic

Comment

Wonder if you guys could help me out. Donjer says they won't ship the adhesive internationally. So I'm having issues finding a supplier here in South Africa. I can get the flocking and manual flocked from them, but it doesn't help if I have nothing to make it stick.

Does anyone know of another supplier or possibly what type of adhesive it could be? Hoping it's just a colored contact adhesive.

Comment

Thought I'd do a quick follow-up on this 5 years later, especially since Photobucket will probably block out my photos one of these days if I don't pay their ransom....Anyhow, the car is now a stage rally car (has done 50+ rallycrosses, 5 stage rallies, and sits outside year-round). I'll add some pics this weekend, but my take on how it's held up:

1. well, it's really dirty. This is a rally car. I occasionally vacuum it with a brush attachment. The original color is still the same, no fading or anything that I can tell.

2. due to the heavy abuse this car takes, and all the jarring the dash and interior takes on jumps and stuff, some of the cracks are very lightly starting to reappear. You wouldn't notice if you just walked by the car and glanced at the dash, but if you stop and look at it closely, you can see little hairline cracks again where I originally patched. Honestly, I doubt this would have happened on a normal street car.

3. No patchy areas, no evidence that any of the stuff has been coming off. It's still "soft" and smooth to the touch. I've never noticed any of the flock material elsewhere in the car, like it's blow off or something. That said, again....it's a rally car so it's always dirty inside :)

All in all, for the $25 or whatever I spent to do it, it's been a hell of a good deal. Still highly recommended. I actually just flocked the old plastic center console on my Porsche 924 project, which greatly improved its look as well.
                      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop
                      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Thanks for the update, in for more recent pictures of your dash and the P 924.
                        BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Planning on flocking my dash and console while the car is stored for the winter. Will I need the bigger kit for all of that, or the mini-kit is enough?

Also going to go with the black nylon and then recover everything with black Alcantara to complete the look. Really it's just Alcantara on the A-pillar trim, the glove box, inner parts of door cars, shift and brake boot, trim above knees.

Comment

Working...
                          X