Alternator relocation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator relocation?

Hey guys just picked up my first e30 with an m10 and noticing the alternator layout is not the same as others I have seen, even the ones pictured in the Bentley manual. The alternator looks to have been relocated adjacent to the oil filter and where it used to sit is something unknown to me. The unknown part looks to have two fuel lines coming in, four lines running into the injectors and three small black lines running into some other unknown part. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here? I've tried to photograph what's going on here as best I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think someone's replaced the fine, fine E30M10b18 engine that was in your car

with one from an E21.

Why on GOD'S GREEN EARTH they would do this, I have no idea, but what
    you have there looks a lot like the late E21 EFI system. Unless I missed something
    on the internet, the E30 never got that... fine... fine... pile of plumbing.
    It always got EFI- in the US, anyways...

How did it do with smog?

Or are you in Oz now?
    Maybe there, you still got the CIS.
    That would just be... rude.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

P.S. your alternator belt is on wrong as well.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        I think someone's replaced the fine, fine E30M10b18 engine that was in your car

with one from an E21.

Why on GOD'S GREEN EARTH they would do this, I have no idea, but what
        you have there looks a lot like the late E21 EFI system. Unless I missed something
        on the internet, the E30 never got that... fine... fine... pile of plumbing.
        It always got EFI- in the US, anyways...

How did it do with smog?

Or are you in Oz now?
        Maybe there, you still got the CIS.
        That would just be... rude.

t

Yea man it appears that some of the early euro models still came with L-jetronik [emoji58]. Trying to get it back to factory spec, but having a hard time matching up what I have with any other e30. Whole heap of wires, modules, and vacuum lines I'm very unfamiliar with. Literally loose vacuum lines that are just capped off!

I'm down under now so don't have to worry about smog but we do have something called a road worthy inspection which is a more detailed inspection of the whole car, but no emissions testing.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
          P.S. your alternator belt is on wrong as well.

Thanks man! I'll sort that out when I put the new belts on.

Comment

I THINK what you have there is K-Jet, or CIS. We got KuJet in e21's, but were 'upgraded'
            to L-Jet for the E30.

In the e21, the system's really hard to fix once it craps out- there's not much in the
            way of parts availability, and no- one knows how to fix it outside of the VW
            community.

There's nothing wrong with your alt belt, other than it's ribbed for her enjoyment...
            DayCo 'Top Cog' among others. You DO need new alternator bushings...

if that was mine, I'd consider an engine swap if it's not too hard in AUS, or at least
            stick the electronic (L-Jet) fuel injection onto it. Just because I'm CISophobic.
            Or a carb, if that's allowed- a 2002 manifold and a 32/36 DGV...

but we're spoiled...
            t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Not dual Webers?

Comment

Nah, jus' one on a 1.8...
                heh

t

Comment

I'd yank all that crap and just got ITBs

Comment

Working...
                  X