Emergency Preparedness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency Preparedness

Recent "activity" happening has got me thinking about having a go bag ready in the event that we need to GTFO.

Im curious what you have in yours or what you'd recommend having.

tinfoil-hat-and-tinfoil-cat by 2mAn

Im sure this will go Off Topic, but lets try to keep it as ON topic as R3V can haha

:thankyou:
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Emergency Preparedness is my line of work, a lot of this really depends on where you live.
    But generally speaking, cash, copies of important paperwork, written down phone numbers, some clothes, batteries and battery packs, food (I have MRE meals from Long Range Patrol and Winter MREs, dehydrated stuff), water or water treatment options, flash lights.

Personally, my go bag includes a CCW, ammo, chainsaw w/ fuel and shovel. But it's a rural setup, i wouldnt leave my house as I have a generator, but if I do, the chainsaw is often needed for storms and being able to get anywhere.

Comment

What activity?

Bug out bag? A handle of vodka and a bottle of sleeping pills.

I have no desire to live in some post-Apocalyptic, "Walking Dead" wasteland that preppers seem to get off on.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I'll just head to work.

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
          What activity?

I have no desire to live in some post-Apocalyptic, "Walking Dead" wasteland that preppers seem to get off on.

Being here in CA let's say a big earthquake but this is one of many .

The zombies are already here man...

Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Interesting thread.

A hand built 2 story log cabin, fully stocked, loads and loads and loads of firearms and ammunition, with a well on site, completely off grid (no electricity apart from generator, no plumbing even), 30 miles outside of town, backed to cliffed forest with a huge prairie to the front, snowmobile and ATV on site. That. That is my plan.

Now, the 40 mile drive to the place. That is unknown. But 4WD and some ground clearance, with pretty detailed knowledge of the forest roads that allow me to get to the cabin from either side of town, and practice driving these roads with and without snow, has given me slight confidence in actually getting there.

You guys in massive cities with millions of people? I feel bad for y'all and wish you the absolute best of luck. I'd feel like cannon fodder in a place like that.

Edit: Truck carries survival gear year round, with an extra tub of cold weather related stuff stowed inside in the winter.
            My previous build (currently E30-less)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I think we have a Bail out bag thread around here someplace
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

you can not fill a bag with enough stuff to really sustain yourself, with the knwledge most people have, youd be dead.

but the most important thing you can have is stuff for water purification, pills, pumps, etc

and a gun or guns with lots of ammo. lots...

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

If I had one, which I don't because a simultaneous societal collapse seems very unlikely to occur it'd be something like a light hiking pack with rain fly, two part jacket, sleeping bag, filtration kit, purification tabs, canteen, a lightweight take-down rifle in .22 (probably better availability, fairly quiet, will take care of light game and warn off people), 25 rounds, hatchet, small knife, small stone, camp saw, spork/bowl, fire starter, cordage, high calorie compressed nutrients, simple fishing gear, flat bar (good for digging and breaking stuff), head lamp/2x change of batteries, 2 exteriors worth of lightweight clothing, 4x interiors, all-purpose soap, spare light boots, compact first aid kit, compact binoculars, supplements, boonie hat, spare glasses, plant guide, siphon. Basically if you can't grab it and go in two minutes tops it's a waste of time.

The aim would be 5-7 days of sitting it out in a spot I found wandering the woods without establishing a real camp away from home and reassessing as required. Cold is not a big problem in my area, and I live in a rural area, so there are lots of wide open spaces.

Of course this all ignores basic ideas of humanity like working in a group is better for survival, so how it would really play out. But I suspect it would not be instant dark ages, but rather a slow slipping into that frame of mind as survival urges become more noticeable.

Comment

If shit got that bad, honestly, I'd rather just be dead. Have fun "surviving" the Zombie Apocalypse...
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      If shit got that bad, honestly, I'd rather just be dead. Have fun "surviving" the Zombie Apocalypse...
                      If the "big one" hits you guys, you probably will be dead! kidding not kidding
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Natural disasters - sure, I'll be ready. But if the entire world civilization collapses, nuclear war etc - good luck.

Especially if your plan is to have guns and lots of ammo. lol.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This was never meant to be a "How to survive the Zombie Apocalypse" thread, but this is r3v Off Topic, so no surprise it went that route.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

My parents house is wood fired, has a well, and a massive generator so I'd probably just go there. NJ doesn't really get natural disasters though so I'm not sure exactly what I'd be preparing for. The worst we get is hurricanes, which aren't even hurricanes by the time they get here. We went about 3 days without power during Sandy, and that was the worst we experienced in about 10 years. If it's not a natural disaster but rather a war/people going apeshit we're probably fucked anyway, and in that case, I'd pack up and head for the country.

I guess I'm just not really concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              This was never meant to be a "How to survive the Zombie Apocalypse" thread, but this is r3v Off Topic, so no surprise it went that route.
                              Yep.

For natural disasters you mostly get in your car with a wallet and go.

Comment

Working...
                              X