Help me understand something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me understand something.

I'm at the tail end of a Lemon's build. I see that many of you lose the brake booster but go with stuff like the wilwood set up. I've also ditched the booster but am planning on using the stock mc and changing the pedal ratio to make things work. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it's all about effort over time.
    Based on that, I'm missing why many of you are switching to the wilwood set up. I've incorporated a adjustable brake bias valve and have made the pedal ratio adjustable. Why shouldn't I be using the stock MC to stop? Please help because the race is in 3 weeks and I'm not sleeping due to things like this.
    Last edited by squidrope; 09-28-2017, 03:59 AM.

people switch to the wilwood setup because a balance bar is better than a bias valve at f/r brake proportioning. It's also easier to adjust for increase fluid volume of BBKs by playing with master piston diameters. drilling holes in a stock brake pedals seems pretty sketchy to me, comparatively.

out of curiosity, why'd you remove the booster? We've run a basically fully stock brake system in our e30 for the last 8 years without problems.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Didn't know that the bias valve wasn't as good as balance bar, but I guess that makes sense.
      I boxed the pedal and added 3 threaded cross tubes which are welded to both sides of the pedal as the "adjustable push points". It's much more robust than the stock pedal arrangement.
      Initially removed the booster as I wanted a fixed seat and a movable pedal box. Designing and building the movable pedal box was taking too much time from the rest of the build. So I put that on hold, but decided to continue booster-less as the wilwood setup stops the car without needing a "boost". Just need to find the right pedal ratio that hits the sweet spot for force/travel.

ETA-Removing weight (booster) from the front of the car was also part of the decision.
      Last edited by squidrope; 09-28-2017, 03:58 AM.

Comment

because a balance bar is better than a bias valve
        This, x about 10.

And you can just add a balance bar to whatever you have, it doesn't have
        to be a full aftermarket pedal box. I used a Tilton adjuster in the stock 2002
        pedal box, a couple of Tilton masters, and life was good.

Ditching the booster helps feel so much, PLUS when you release the brakes,
        they come off right now. The booster takes a significant amount of time to release
        the brakes, which really hurts threshold braking.
        I found I could brake much more accurately and harder
        without the booster, as I could modulate so much better. I'm sure part of that
        has to do with the amount of force it takes, but booster lag also plays a big part.

Just what I found, 12 years or so ago.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

^^ interesting about the release, didn't realize it has an effect.
          cars beep boop

Comment

I found it did, on a '02 booster. Never noticed it on the street, but on track,
            it made a huge difference.

Makes sense, I guess- air at relatively low pressure has to
            flow back into the booster through the return valve to release
            brake pressure, and that's going to take time.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Update
              Brakes worked brilliantly! Engine not so much...
              Have a driver who didn't like brakes but he was 8-10 seconds off pace.

Comment

Working...
              X