S52 to S54? School me on what's needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 to S54? School me on what's needed.

So as of right now i have an already swapped E30 M3 with an OBD1 S52 that wont run properly after months of trying to fix it. browsing through the S54 swap guides it seems like the two are pretty similar as far as swap work goes but r3v gurus know best so i want to figure out what the actual rest of the swap would entail

here's essentially what i confirmed from my research that would be required:
    -source engine/harness/ecu
    ---includes tune and engine wiring harness work
    -install drive by wire throttle
    -if desired install sport button
    -arc asylum work on oil pan and subframe

some things i THINK work as is but unsure of 100%:
    -same engine mounts?
    -same 5-speed? and clutch/flywheel?
    -same exhaust even??

im sure i missed some as its been a minute since i last went through but if as much stuff carries over as i think that would be incredible. i just want to figure out all the ins and outs beforehand and im sure at least one person has done this or researched this before.

Pretty much the same except for gas pedal and brake booster

Comment

Fuel pressure regulator also, I've mounted mine in the engine bay on lower strut tower. Also oil cooler stuff, I just bought the VAC adapter kit for the s54 housing.
      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
        Pretty much the same except for gas pedal and brake booster
        so it would still need a different booster even if its been swapped for the s52?

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
          Fuel pressure regulator also, I've mounted mine in the engine bay on lower strut tower. Also oil cooler stuff, I just bought the VAC adapter kit for the s54 housing.
          im guessing you mean a remote FPR? for the oil cooler are you talking about a stock one that comes with the s54? cant tell from searching if its an oem thing or just recommended to have with the swap

Comment

Yeah, the FPR is "remote" in that on an E46 M3, it's attached to a fuel filter that resides underneath the car.

The S54 has a stock oil cooler that bolts to the bottom of the radiator. If you use a Z3M S54 radiator, the stock cooler will be shrouded by the radiator support, blocking airflow. It will be easier to get the VAC adapter kit and place an aftermarket cooler where you find space for it.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
              Yeah, the FPR is "remote" in that on an E46 M3, it's attached to a fuel filter that resides underneath the car.

The S54 has a stock oil cooler that bolts to the bottom of the radiator. If you use a Z3M S54 radiator, the stock cooler will be shrouded by the radiator support, blocking airflow. It will be easier to get the VAC adapter kit and place an aftermarket cooler where you find space for it.
              excellent, sounds like this swap is relatively straight forward after all

Comment

Originally posted by Sladek View Post
                so it would still need a different booster even if its been swapped for the s52?
                Yes - there is even less room. I used a 2002 booster and it's working well. You also need to modify the booster to mate up to the brake pedal.

Headers are different as well so you'll have to figure out the exhaust.
                Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
                  Yes - there is even less room. I used a 2002 booster and it's working well. You also need to modify the booster to mate up to the brake pedal.

Headers are different as well so you'll have to figure out the exhaust.
                  from the swap guide it looks like the s52 headers will still work at least thats what i thought, can anyone confirm this?

Comment

No. They are completely different.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      No. They are completely different.
                      ah further investigation shows the m54 is the same but the s54 is not. bummer

Comment

Working...
                      X