Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hose from Heater Core to Thermostat: Does it Tee To Expansion Tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hose from Heater Core to Thermostat: Does it Tee To Expansion Tank?

1992 BMW 325i Cabrio E30 M20 convertible here. Bought without heater hoses and possibly a leaking heater core. I am installing used and new parts for all now. I think I have the hose routing under the hood figured out except for one thing: Does the hose between the heater core and thermostat housing also Tee to the expansion tank?

I took the heater core hoses from a 1987 325i at a salvage yard. The hose from the heater core to the thermostat housing does not have this tee. The salvaged hose system does have the auxiliary thermostat, indicating the recall was done. Many drawings show the Tee to the expansion tank. See attached.

Thank you for posting any insight you may have on this.
    Attached Files

You probably need the elephant trunk hose- yes, it tees into the late expansion tank.

I try not to mix early and late cooling system parts- too much changed.
    And that damned retrofit thermostat makes a crowded part of the engine bay even worse.

hth
    t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Am I the only one who's thinking "next time I'm in there" just delete that stupid check valve? It makes that part of the cooling system a pain in the ass. I probably need to replace my heater core anyway.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I did take it out.
        My heater core started leaking some time after that.
        I figure it was just coincidence.
        So I bypassed the heater entirely.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          I did take it out.
          My heater core started leaking some time after that.
          I figure it was just coincidence.
          So I bypassed the heater entirely.

t
          Sounds like a coincidence. I deleted the bypass on mine and used a stock hose again. Works perfect, no leaks at my heater core.
          1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
          2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
          2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Thank you for the input. I discovered that the hose already tee'd off to the expansion tank. Whoever disconnected the heater core left nearly the entire hose system intact. It was pretty easy to reconnect it and then purge the system. The new heater and heater valve work great.

Comment

Working...
            X