318is, no idle. revs fine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is, no idle. revs fine?

okay, so i finished replacing the motor on my 318is, and now it wont idle. you can start it up, and it will idle for a second, then bog down to 400rpm and die. if you give it gas, it revs fine, i drove it all through the gears and even got onto the freeway, but as soon as you take it outa gear and let off the gas, it dies... possibilities? ICV? TPS? thanks for any input~!
    -cary
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Your ICV valve is sticking. Take some penetrating oil and spray it in there, making sure the valve can move freely.

-Brandon

Comment

Either that or replace it. Got one from a junker cheap and replaced mine, your M42 should idle at 800 rpm.
      Reminiscing...

Comment

i have a spare one sitting in a box somewhere...have like 6 boxes full of misc e30 chit to search though....:roll:
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Check for vacuum leaks under the intake manifold and all other vacuum hoses

Comment

Originally posted by KangamangusDriver View Post
            Check for vacuum leaks under the intake manifold and all other vacuum hoses
            +1

M42s have the biggest nightmare vacuum system ever.
            Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
            That Guy.
            03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Good be a bad ignition wire too.... I just did a complete rebuild on a M42 motor and installed 8.5mm Magnecor wires.. Wouldn't hold idle. Found a bad arcing magnecor wire that was the problem....

Comment

Working...
              X