Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I soughted it out, cheers

Comment

Sorry for bringing back this old thread.
      I did the mess under the intake..
      I haven't yet installed a vac line to run from the valve cover to either the throttle body or intake boot. Would it be okay to just use a PCV breather filter?
      I have the icv line into intake boot as well as elbow into tb. I should use a T-connecter to run both pcv and tb into the intake boot? What/where do I get this connector?
      Thank you.

Comment

Excellent write up Simon! I am converting an M42 to put in my E30 oval track race car. I run an M10 currently, and this post is helping me make sense of all the darned hoses.

A couple questions for you (and any other members that can help), the breather from the valve cover: since emissions are not a concern here, I plan on connecting that to my existing engine breather catch can. There won't be any vacuum applied to the valve cover, but on the other hand, I'm not sucking hot oily air down the intake, either.

Also, since there doesn't seem to be a decent bleed point high on the head, I may use the nipple coming off the side of the head, and run that to my external aftermarket expansion/header tank.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Rob
        Last edited by avt007; 10-15-2015, 05:29 PM.
        Rob
        E30 short track oval race car
        2001 X5 4.4

Comment

I finally got around to finishing this. I was waiting for some tubing so i could do the ICV to the intake boot.
          When i bought the car i replaced all the hoses with OEM parts. Less than 6 years later and 100,000kms most of them had developed splits.

A definite must do if you have an M42.
          My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
          http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

My parts just arrived today for this project!

Comment

Doing the mess deletion is one of the few times that second guessing BMW engineering actually pays off.

When you do the work it's also a good time to replace your throttle cable clip, maybe airbox mounts, and soft fuel lines, not just in the engine bay, but also at the tank/filter.

Comment

Honestly i don´t know where al the fuzz is about, i just disconnected the smalle heater plate under the TB. (euro m42, no heating plate between manifold and TB)
                so the connected heater plate is just dangling free under the TB

Like you say, secondguessing BMW´s work is often not a good idea, and to be honest i don´t think it´s a good idea now.
                This "mess under the intake" surely has a purpose, otherwise BMW just did it the normal way.
                heating up the engine ventilation hoses with coolant makes sure the gasses inside the hoses stay warm, and by that they will be easily sucked in by the engine vacuum.
                if you don´t warm the gasses the possibility exists that the hoses get clogged, and your engine isn´t ventilated anymore!
                this can (in the worst case scenario) result in engine failure.

off course it´s not nice to have your TB & intake manifold covered in engine oil, but that´s a small offer IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  Doing the mess deletion is one of the few times that second guessing BMW engineering actually pays off.

When you do the work it's also a good time to replace your throttle cable clip, maybe airbox mounts, and soft fuel lines, not just in the engine bay, but also at the tank/filter.
                  I had never thought to replace the airbox mounts. Next on the list.

Originally posted by MVincken View Post
                  Honestly i don´t know where al the fuzz is about, i just disconnected the smalle heater plate under the TB. (euro m42, no heating plate between manifold and TB)
                  so the connected heater plate is just dangling free under the TB

Like you say, secondguessing BMW´s work is often not a good idea, and to be honest i don´t think it´s a good idea now.
                  This "mess under the intake" surely has a purpose, otherwise BMW just did it the normal way.
                  heating up the engine ventilation hoses with coolant makes sure the gasses inside the hoses stay warm, and by that they will be easily sucked in by the engine vacuum.
                  if you don´t warm the gasses the possibility exists that the hoses get clogged, and your engine isn´t ventilated anymore!
                  this can (in the worst case scenario) result in engine failure.

off course it´s not nice to have your TB & intake manifold covered in engine oil, but that´s a small offer IMO.
                  I think he said it in this case it was worth second guessing BMW. These hoses are a bad design and prone to failure which lead to poor idling and affect the motors´ performance.
                  Mind you, in my case I only replaced the vacuum hoses and left the cooling hoses alone since they were fine. Prior to this the car ran like garbage, now it´s back to running like a champ.
                  My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
                  http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

Originally posted by spanish pants View Post
                    I think he said it in this case it was worth second guessing BMW. These hoses are a bad design and prone to failure which lead to poor idling and affect the motors´ performance.
                    Mind you, in my case I only replaced the vacuum hoses and left the cooling hoses alone since they were fine. Prior to this the car ran like garbage, now it´s back to running like a champ.
                    I did the exact same thing, and afterwards taped them together with black ducktape, so the possibility that leaking occurs is even smaller.

Comment

Just a little thing I noticed while I was under there

The coolant hose diagram on realOEM.com is incorrect where it shows the two throttle heater plates coming together. They link up by the small ports on the side of each plate. The diagram shows that the bottom port on the larger plate links to the smaller plate.

As if we weren't confused enough! I'm retaining the heater plates because I like the idea.

Classic thread

Comment

Can the pictures from the original post be updated. Going to try to tackle this soon.

Edit: found some pics here http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=2742
                        Last edited by Victell; 02-16-2016, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X