a bit of clarification on M20 flywheel/clutch conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a bit of clarification on M20 flywheel/clutch conversion

EDIT: Skip to post #13 for the DEFINITIVE ANSWER to the question of "what parts to use and what fits" for the M20 flywheel/clutch conversion on the M42.

----------

I managed to come by for cheap all the parts for the M20 conversion from someone who was going to do it but then did an engine swap and didn't need to. It includes:

M20 single-mass flywheel
    M20 clutch and pressure plate (new)
    323i throwout bearing
    M20 starter (new)

So....all of the threads on this are so freaking convoluted with BS (I've read all of them at this point), just figured I'd ask a simple question to get a simple answer, hopefully.

With the above parts, all I need to do is:

1. get shorter flywheel bolts
    2. machine the engine side of the flyweel a bit to clear the sump bolts
    3. use the M20 starter as-is.
    4. do NOT use the spacer off the M42 flywheel

Is that correct, or am I missing something?

thx,
    Josh
    Last edited by irish44j; 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM.
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Buy M20 flywheel bolts for an M20 equipped with the single mass flywheel. Get new ones, don't try to find bargain ones at the hardware store. They are critical fasteners.

Use the spacer ring from the M42 flywheel between the crank and M20 flywheel. The pressure plate might not disengage properly without it since the slave cylinder has to push further. Don't machine the flywheel, unless you know a reputable shop that is known to do a good flywheel lightening job and can balance it up to at least 8000RPM.

I don't know if the M20 starter unit will fit the G240 bellhousing. All you really need is the pinion gear & planetary gear assembly from the M20 starter. Those can be installed into an M42 starter pretty easily. You will need to do that if the entire M20 unit does not fit.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
      I don't know if the M20 starter unit will fit the G240 bellhousing
      It will ;)

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
        Buy M20 flywheel bolts for an M20 equipped with the single mass flywheel. Get new ones, don't try to find bargain ones at the hardware store. They are critical fasteners.

Use the spacer ring from the M42 flywheel between the crank and M20 flywheel. The pressure plate might not disengage properly without it since the slave cylinder has to push further. Don't machine the flywheel, unless you know a reputable shop that is known to do a good flywheel lightening job and can balance it up to at least 8000RPM.

I don't know if the M20 starter unit will fit the G240 bellhousing. All you really need is the pinion gear & planetary gear assembly from the M20 starter. Those can be installed into an M42 starter pretty easily. You will need to do that if the entire M20 unit does not fit.
        this
        and this
        Originally posted by atmobenzin View Post
        It will ;)
        both are correct

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

excellent, thanks. So in summary:

- don't modify the flywheel at all
          - use the spacer off the M42 flywheel (the one with the rivets holding it in)
          - get new M20 flywheel bolts (was going to do that anyways)
          - use M20 starter as-is with no modifications
          - use 323i TOB
          - use all the rest stock M42 stuff (slave cyl, etc)

all correct?
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I ground the oil pan bots to clear the m20 FW, no spacers and didn't have any issues with the slave not extending enough. Also didn't use the 323 TOB.

I know your pain. We spent a whole weekend trying to put a g260 behind the m42, all the online info was dead wrong. They said to use a 325i drive shaft but the splines for the two halves only engaged a tiny bit. Ended up finding a used g240 and left the m20 clutch parts in it.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
              excellent, thanks. So in summary:

- don't modify the flywheel at all
              - use the spacer off the M42 flywheel (the one with the rivets holding it in)
              - get new M20 flywheel bolts (was going to do that anyways)
              - use M20 starter as-is with no modifications
              - use 323i TOB
              - use all the rest stock M42 stuff (slave cyl, etc)

all correct?
              yes

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Why is it people use the 323 TOB? We definitely didn't use one and the car had almost a year in service and brought one of my shop mates all the way through HPDE, sold the car to another shop mate and he made it to HPDE3 with the same car (both owners on daily status), all the way up until the m42/g240 was pulled in preparation for Spec e30 just about a month ago. I know we didn't use the 323 bearing because we used what was on our shelf and we certainly never had a 323 TOB for any reason.

EDIT: And we put the m20 cone on the m42 starter...
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

The 323 TOB is a bit longer - so I perhaps people use it with the flywheel without using the spacer (and with the back lip of the flywheel shaved to clear those bolts)?

The M20 and M42 starters are exactly the same size and have the same "throw" on the gear engagement from what I can tell. The only difference I can see (other than cosmetic things) is the gear teeth. I don't see why the M20 starter wouldn't just be drop-in in place of the M42 starter, frankly.

a few pics comparing the setups:

EDIT: see a few post down for better pics.

starters (M20 left, M42 right)

TOBs (323 left, 318 right)
                  Last edited by irish44j; 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM.
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

It is the ring gear count that the starter gear has to match. The m42 FW and m20 FW can't be compared laying on a bench. You have to check them from the crank mounting height. The m20 has more meat on the back - the part that hits the oil pan bolts - the very same reason it's not a bolt on for the 24v motors.

I am just curious as the g26 swap cost a whole weekend on my lift with 2 sold guys working on it and one a few hours each day - just to end up with an m20 clutch pack and g240, only because we weren't going to drop the trans to swap back after pulling the trans about 8x - even with my lift, that was a looooong weekend :(
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      It is the ring gear count that the starter gear has to match. The m42 FW and m20 FW can't be compared laying on a bench. You have to check them from the crank mounting height. The m20 has more meat on the back - the part that hits the oil pan bolts - the very same reason it's not a bolt on for the 24v motors.

I am just curious as the g26 swap cost a whole weekend on my lift with 2 sold guys working on it and one a few hours each day - just to end up with an m20 clutch pack and g240, only because we weren't going to drop the trans to swap back after pulling the trans about 8x - even with my lift, that was a looooong weekend :(
                      yeah I realize that about the ring gear count. But with the spacer on the M20 FW mounting surface, the ring gear is in virtually the same relative place. I measured it with my engineering tools between the two FWs. The photo I posted above was a terrible illustration of anything at all, lol and didn't show what I meant it to :P
                      Last edited by irish44j; 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM.
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I'm going to go try something more illustrative. back in a bit.
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

ok, looks like we were both right in different ways:

My workbench is PERFECTLY level, first of all.
                          I used some blocks of EXACTLY the same thickness underneath the assemblies, simulating the mouting face of the block. So this display shows the relative heights of the entire assemblies AS MOUNTED on the engine.

All bolts are tight, and the pressure plates are cinched down to spec, with clutch plates inside.

FIRST TEST:
                          This is the M42 stock assembly on the left.
                          On the right is the M20 assembly WITH the little spacer underneath. As you can see, the ring gears on each are perfectly even. Both have a standard E30 TOB on top. As you can see, they are PERFECTLY level with each other.

So, the bottom line on this setup is that the full M20 assembly here, with the spacer and stock TOB, is exactly the same overall thickness as the stock M42 stuff.

M42 vs M20 w/spacer and stock TOB:

TEST 2:
                          In this test, I took out the spacer ring from below the flywheel, and put the slightly longer 323i TOB on top instead of the stock one.

Results: The ring gear is a bit off. The overall height is exactly the same. So basically, this setup should work fine as well. I'm thinking that the 323 TOB method was developed before someone thought of using the little spacer to allow use of the M42 TOB. The only thing here is that the backside of the FW would have to be milled a bit to clear the engine/sump bolts. So this method involves a BIT more work.

Looking at the starter pinion gear travel, it appears that the M20 starter OR the M42 starter with the M20 cone should both work perfectly.

Thoughts?

M42 vs M20 without spacer, with 323i TOB.

Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

this is interesting. First off these pictures are gold. Second, It seems that both set ups work fine. The difference in ring gear height really isnt too much of an issue I dont think because the starter throw will still reach out and grab the flywheel in both situations.

I however am running the spacer AND the 323 TOB, and I have no issues to report other than a slightly stiffer clutch pedal (which I like) however it could be the aftermarket burly clutch I am running.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                              this is interesting. First off these pictures are gold. Second, It seems that both set ups work fine. The difference in ring gear height really isnt too much of an issue I dont think because the starter throw will still reach out and grab the flywheel in both situations.

I however am running the spacer AND the 323 TOB, and I have no issues to report other than a slightly stiffer clutch pedal (which I like) however it could be the aftermarket burly clutch I am running.
                              good to hear. Since I have a brand-new 323 TOB (and two old/nasty M42 TOBs), I'd just as well use those as well. So to get the ring gear alignment perfect I may do exactly as you have done.

So now we have 3 setups that work :)
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                              X