No announcement yet.

Building an M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The basic trigger configurations for the M42 engine for most of the standalone systems. If you are interested in that route there is a lot of help to get you up and going.

Just an FYI you dont have to worry about being a trail blazer or anything :) I don't have any Alpha-N maps for fuel or spark, but those are easy enough to derive from the speed density maps to get a reasonable baseline to tune from.
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
      i was suggesting the ostrich only if you really loved that dbilas alpha-n and wanted to keep it. advantages would be: you don't have to rewire anything. disadvantages: as discussed, it's using TPS and other inputs to make a best guess at how much fuel the engine wants.

i can't get away with running a standalone here in cali; you have that option, and in your position, that's the avenue i'd pursue.

i'll leave the discussion of "which standalone" to those more experienced. :)
      Just curious, how would you not be able to get away with a stand-alone here? I have passed visual with a MAF conversion and the modified MM "pulse chamber" intake manifold. With a wide-band and a good tune, you would have no problem passing the sniffer test, and there isn't much in the stand-alone that could cause you to fail the visual. As far as the evap system test goes, I think that they just test it to see if it maintains pressure rather than if it actually vents.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
        i was suggesting the ostrich only if you really loved that dbilas alpha-n and wanted to keep it. advantages would be: you don't have to rewire anything. disadvantages: as discussed, it's using TPS and other inputs to make a best guess at how much fuel the engine wants.
        The idea of the Ostrich isn't a bad one. At least I'll be able to make changes. The idea of Alpha N I still really like for the simple fact that I was intending to run open throttle bodies.

Tried bleeding the cooling system tonight and I may have a bad thermostat housing. Once the car hit operating temp it started spewing water. Will check it out more tomorrow add I ran out of time tonight.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

So the car is ticking....... like a lifter hasn't reached oil pressure yet. Trying to figure out what the problem is. Also trying to get the car to run properly using the Dbilas unit.

Will update soon.

Comment

Also thinking it could be the timing chain tensioner not expanding......????

Comment

Did you pop the tensioner before installing it? Like expand it?

Comment

Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post
                Did you pop the tensioner before installing it? Like expand it?
                I did. I'm going to try and look at it this week sometime. It's just sitting at work right now. I'm slowly losing motivation :-(

Comment

Jumped and bought an Ostrich 2.0. We'll see if I can get this thing running right.

Comment

She's alive!!!!!!

Have to button up a few things and put a decent tune on it using the Ostrich, but she runs and sounds mean as hell. :-)

Comment

Yes!!! Can't wait for video and/or numbers
                      diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

good shit! and yeah, get us some video, fucker. a writeup on ostrich would be awesome too. pretty sure you're the first in the world to do that EMS + ITBs on an M42.
                        past:
                        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:
                        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

This build isn't dead.....just haven't had ANY time to work on it. The cat still needs to be tuned properly...running rich right now. Hoping to get it running decent before winter 😞

Comment

Do you work at Turner? I had a long conversation with one of the employees in early 2013 and he was building something exactly like this. He pretty much talked me out of doing the S52 crank in my Alum M52. A decision Im glad I did to this day.

Keep up the work, I love seeing NA builds
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah he works at Turner. Also, smart move not putting the S52 crank in your engine. Your torsional damper thanks you :)
                              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by I8UR911 View Post
                                This build isn't dead.....just haven't had ANY time to work on it. The cat still needs to be tuned properly...running rich right now. Hoping to get it running decent before winter 😞
                                I know EXACTLY how that is!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
                                X