Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adequate 1952 Willys Aero-Lark (24h of lemons build)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Adequate 1952 Willys Aero-Lark (24h of lemons build)

This is going to be mildly different, but, don't panic, there will be BMW content.

I've been racing a slightly-edited M30-swapped 86 325es in the 24 Hours of Lemons for nearly the last decade. During its heyday, it looked like this:

Sadly, the car was starting to be a pain in the ass. The chassis was sloppy. It creaked and bent when jacked up. The frame rails were crosseyed. We had started to resort to welding things in place because bolts no longer lined up. An agreement was reached - we finish first, then the car gets shipped to china in bits and turned into refrigerators and stand mixers.

After about a season of "honing" our "racecraft", we came first in the March 2017 race at Sonoma. The car was retired soon after. We recently cut it into bits. RIP.

However, that shall not be the end of my crappy racing career. We also own this horribleness:

You can read about the one race it's ever done here.

So, why am I posting about this here? Well, sometime last fall, I discovered that our Willys has a wheelbase and a width that are both within one centimeter of the BMW E34.

A plan was forged. Two scrap cars were obtained. We are disassembling the Willys, boxing out the frame rails, moving other sheet metal around, and building adapters to be able to bolt a full, unmodified E34 driveline (both subframes, diff, driveshaft, motor, full front and rear suspension, steering column) into the chassis. This will let us mount our choice of any M20, any M30, any M50, any M60, and potentially even an M70 into the chassis with factory BMW equipment.

It's a good thing we saved our E30's M30B35.

Current Willys status:

Stay tuned. There will be welding.
    cars beep boop

Sub'd.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I love this

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

glad this finally got a thread. I remember when you first told me about the idea and I think it's the coolest thing ever
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Nice ride! But if it sounds really good, will they penalize you??

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
            Nice ride! But if it sounds really good, will they penalize you??
            the judges think it's hilarious, we're very much on their good side right now.
            cars beep boop

Comment

:popcorn:
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Subscribed.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

as of the last post, we didn't have a great idea of how the engine mounts to the Willys. after some beers, some arguing, and some sketching, we settled on an approach - use box section to extend the willys frame rails to meet the E34 subframe.

plan:

rail extensions were made out of very very thick box, with captive, threaded sleeves for interfacing with the subframe.

demo fitup

clearanced the transmission tunnel to fit the G260, which is a little bigger than the 3-speed 1940s-era box these came with. The subframe is hanging off the car for the first time ever.

the motor fits!

and it even stays in the engine bay without being supported by the cherry picker.

next up, we'll be fabricating the upper strut mounts and tying them into the roll cage, adding sway bar rear mounts, and getting the transmission mount figured out.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

not pictured: the M30 got a cheapo head skim and a new headgasket. This is the same B35 we campaigned on since 2015 or so and won with.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

oh hell ya
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

This is going to be great, stoked to see where this goes :devil:

Comment

There's a team running an SC400 chassis with a Jeep XJ body in ChampCar (EC). It's fast, and sounds pretty glorious.

I imagine this will generate similar "what was THAT?!" reactions.
                          Originally posted by kronus
                          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Hell yeah

This is so great
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Most excellent!

Comment

Working...
                              X