E Crankshaft
    ross racing pistons 11:1 85mm (i hope)
    "I" rods
    schrick 288
    vac hd valve springs
    HD Rockers
    Multi angle valve cut
    port and polish.
    Megasquirt (if i can find some in Australia that will tune it for me)

Well im going to order the ross racing pistons from IE, my question is if i order 10:8.1 by the time i have the head skimmed and possibly blocked decked, i will be around 11:1 is my thinking right, also with stock head gasket, or do i just order 11:1 Also ordering the schrick 288, is this engine going to ping like hell even once its tuned, ill be using 98 octane fuel at all times.

Does anyone know what the stroke the E crank has in combination with the "I" rods.

329i

Comment

Originally posted by jules325i View Post
      what ill be using.
      885 head
      E Crankshaft
      "I" rods
      schrick 288
      vac hd valve springs
      HD Rockers
      Multi angle valve cut
      port and polish.
      Not sure what injectors to run is there a 24lb option?

Well im going to order the ross racing pistons from IE, my question is if i order 10:8.1 by the time i have the head skimmed and possibly blocked decked, i will be around 11:1 is my thinking right, also with stock head gasket, or do i just order 11:1 Also ordering the schrick 288, is this engine going to ping like hell even once its tuned, ill be using 98 octane fuel at all times.

Does anyone know what the stroke the E crank has in combination with the "I" rods.

329i

Comment

what ill be using.
        885 head
        E Crankshaft
        "I" rods
        schrick 288
        vac hd valve springs
        HD Rockers
        Multi angle valve cut
        port and polish.

10.8 or 11:1 you wont notice the difference but it wont ping if it is tuned properly people usually use NGK BPR6ES plugs on higher comp m20's which is 1 heat range colder plug.

the eta crank has 81mm stroke no matter what rods you use.....
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

TIL why my Alpina pistons rattle when cold, probably the 291,000km too :D

I R stupid.

Carry on gents, I'm listening intently (and thinking 288/288 + 42mm throttles for winter project).

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
          RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            10.8 or 11:1 you wont notice the difference but it wont ping if it is tuned properly people usually use NGK BPR6ES plugs on higher comp m20's which is 1 heat range colder plug.

the eta crank has 81mm stroke no matter what rods you use.....
            I have a set of "e" Rods and a set of "I" rods which should I use, also I'm thinking of using the pink tops 21lb injectors they will be enough won't they

329i

Comment

What Digger is saying is that the crank's stroke is the cranks stroke, irregardless of your rod length.

Perhaps you were asking what your displacement would be?

And as a side note, you might want to simply ask these kinds of questions to your engine builder or who your getting parts from, since its what they do for a living. (not that there's anything wrong with Digger's excellent advice, I just know that sometimes things can be related much easier on the phone or in person rather than a message board where things can easily be missed or misconstrued).
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Yes a very good idea I'll get in contact but you both can tell me which rod will give me greater displacement.

329i

Comment

Yes a very good idea I'll get in contact but you both can tell me which rod will give me greater displacement.
                  the rod DOES NOT affect displacement. the longer the rod means you use a smaller compression height on the piston so the piston sits at the correct position at the top of the block.

the piston compression height is the distance from the pin centreline to the deck of the piston.

a smaller compression height is better for stability contrary to what people might think. as long as the compression height is not so small to where you cant fit a decent ring pack in which can affect ring seal and oil control.

just use a 135mm rod and eta crank you have plenty of room to fit a good ring pack. speak to the piston people for specifics on size and type.
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                    the rod DOES NOT affect displacement. the longer the rod means you use a smaller compression height on the piston so the piston sits at the correct position at the top of the block.

the piston compression height is the distance from the pin centreline to the deck of the piston.

a smaller compression height is better for stability contrary to what people might think. as long as the compression height is not so small to where you cant fit a decent ring pack in which can affect ring seal and oil control.

just use a 135mm rod and eta crank you have plenty of room to fit a good ring pack. speak to the piston people for specifics on size and type.
                    Thanks mate very informative.

329i

Comment

Oh, cool. An explanation of compression height. I had no idea what dimension that was from my reading in the other stroker threads. Thanks Digger.
                      '87 5-speed 325is
                      The best $750 I ever spent!

Are you in Michigan?
                      Do you want to know where all the E30's are?
                      Try checking out the Michigan E30 Map

Comment

Comment

May as well throw this question in here, what sort of squish is ideal for an M20?

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                          RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
                            May as well throw this question in here, what sort of squish is ideal for an M20?
                            1mm is typically a good safe minimum number on most engines.
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
                              1.00 to 1.25mm is fine, could go a little bit closer on a racenegine but on the angled squish band of the 885 it is more difficult to achieve. you would want good rods and light piston to go smaller. dont forget to allow for some piston rock

By my calculations with a 1.75mm head gasket (I remember hearing that 1.75mm OEM gaskets were NLA a few years back) the piston should be above the deck ~0.7mm. If you use a 2.05mm gasket it would be ~1.0mm above deck to achieve this.
                              Obviously you would measure deck height and mock it up to get it right as well as paying attention to piston to valve clearance. the more the head has been skimmed the closer everything gets to
                              Last edited by digger; 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM.

Comment

bumping a terrific thread for posterity. so much great info here!
                                thanks Digger
                                I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                                TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                                e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X