Question about 2.7I build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about 2.7I build

Hey guys! I have a 1987 325e that I got for a good deal. Its a beater but i'd like to get more experience building engines and the like through this car. Right now it has the stock m20b27. I would like to do a junkyard stroker build. I know that it is best to start with a 325I but it is what it is. I would like to do the 325I head swap with motronic 1.3.

So my question is, can I do this swap in bits and pieces? Can I swap just a head today and still drive the vehicle? What parts need to be swapped together and which ones will work with what I've got. Can I just switch the intake or will their be wiring issues?

Obviously swapping the head won't give me a higher Rev limiter until i've swapped the computer but will it work?

The reason I ask is because parts in my area are scarce so it will take some time before I can get it all.

I got a '404 not found' error for this link. Is the link correct? Is this info somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
      I got a '404 not found' error for this link. Is the link correct? Is this info somewhere else?

I don’t know if this is the same thing but this is a great resource the guy has a lot of information and gives a pretty good idea of how to get started and the parts you’ll need for it. Good luck with the build and just know that getting all the correct info for all this stuff is really the hardest part of it all.

Comment

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Originally posted by Evan’s E30 View Post
        http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/328i_1.html
        I don’t know if this is the same thing but this is a great resource...

Comment

I would think the most important thing to do with any of these crazy conversions is a decent programmable ecu (and a good tune) to get the most out of it.

Comment

I race my E30. When my 2.7 finally broke a piston ring and gouged a cylinder, I found a craigslist 325i being parted out. Bought the motor and ECU for practically nothing.

Took the upper off the i engine, the stock ECU and the rods. Had my e block bored to 85mm and had to buy custom pistons (most expensive part) which were 10:1 compression.

Put all that together with a scrounged 4.10 LSD and I'm back in business. I don't know what HP it makes or what torque is makes, but I do know it will scream around a 2.38 mile track in 1.55:--.

It was a relatively inexpensive conversion, since I did all the assembly myself. I do feel good having people tell me how much faster the car is now than it was before.

Comment

Originally posted by CrashandBurn View Post
              I race my E30. When my 2.7 finally broke a piston ring and gouged a cylinder, I found a craigslist 325i being parted out. Bought the motor and ECU for practically nothing.

Took the upper off the i engine, the stock ECU and the rods. Had my e block bored to 85mm and had to buy custom pistons (most expensive part) which were 10:1 compression.

Put all that together with a scrounged 4.10 LSD and I'm back in business. I don't know what HP it makes or what torque is makes, but I do know it will scream around a 2.38 mile track in 1.55:--.

It was a relatively inexpensive conversion, since I did all the assembly myself. I do feel good having people tell me how much faster the car is now than it was before.
              Just finished my conversion as well! I didn’t use custom pistons so the compression is low but it is still a massive increase over the stock 2.7. Did the 4.10 make a huge difference. Still on my 2.93

Comment

Originally posted by GoochE30 View Post
                Did the 4.10 make a huge difference. Still on my 2.93
                Yes, it did. During a race, with the 2.93, I was constantly have to do the 3rd to 2nd downshift (3rd to 4th to 3rd is usually the optimum shift during the races I attend) and the car was sluggish out of the corners. With the 4.10, the car explodes out of the corners and screams down the straights. I do hit the rev limiter at the end of the longest straights in fourth, so I usually have to go into fifth for a short time. Yes, I would say it made a huge difference.
                Last edited by CrashandBurn; 11-19-2018, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X