Best budget-friendly swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best budget-friendly swap.

So, I have decided that I am going to do an engine swap on my 91' 318i within the next year or two...probably as a little project in college. Now, this may seem redundant, clapped-out, or flat out stupid, but what is the best engine swap for the money? Some in consideration: M30, M50, or S14. Currently having an M42, I sorta appreciate the decent fuel economy that I get. I am pondering the thought of a turbo-setup, but that'd be another year down the line. Which leads me back to the question...would I be better off just turbocharging my M42? I know a lot of you big dawgs know your shit, and I would appreciate some of your feedback.

Cheers!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

m50. although i am not a big dawg.

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
    ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
    Originally posted by JakeP
    with a coathanger

Comment

I am a big dawg.

Comment

you run this shit

ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
        with a coathanger

Comment

i would think the cheapest route would be either to turbo your m42, or do an m30 swap...

i know i read about a guy to was running 7psi on his stock engine (m42) i think i googled 42 turbo build

the reason i mention that is because, by the looks of it, he didnt' spend more that 2k on the build...

Comment

Originally posted by call me jack View Post
            i know i read about a guy to was running 7psi on his stock engine (m42) i think i googled 42 turbo build

the reason i mention that is because, by the looks of it, he didnt' spend more that 2k on the build...
            Wow that guy sounds like a fuckin fag.

Comment

that was me

with a coathanger

Comment

7 psi broskeee

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

fuck it go 20psi and get like 2000cc injectors remap itll be good for around 900hp

Comment

Originally posted by payney8 View Post
                    fuck it go 20psi and get like 2000cc injectors remap itll be good for around 900hp
                    ...which leads me to my next question. Are stand alones really recommended? Because when I was going through turbocharging my volvo, I looked at MS, and VEMS, and that looks like a great mess to me. Is it so?

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

I could tell you all kinds of stuff about m42 turbos like how to do it right and how to do it wrong, because I've done it both ways. Stand alone is the way to do it right, unless you happen to have an eprom writer to write your own tunes to a custom chip.

Comment

M30 is one of the most cost friendly swaps. An old turd of an engine swap, but still makes the e30 a bit more enjoyable.

sigpic

Comment

E34 M50 swap.

Oh and search, been covered hundreds of times at this point.
                          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

There are sub forums setup for this exact question, it would heed you well to look at them.
                            stephenbrody.com

Comment

e34 m50 swap
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X