lifter ticking - driving me crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lifter ticking - driving me crazy

Ok im sure this has been discussed already to a degree but ive heard a couple different responses so id like to get an answer that is a little more specific to my situation.

so i have s52 swap, it makes a horrible ticking noise. i believe it to be the hydraulic lifters. now i want to get the cheapest fix possible. so ive seen suggestion for running different products through the oil. has anyone had any success with this, if so what did you use? and how severe was your case because mine are crazy loud.

also should taking the lifers out and cleaning them be considered?

thanks.

bump

Comment

I dealt with this at length.

try shell rotella t6 5w-40, overfill a smidge.

if that doesn't quiet the engine to your liking, maybe try a heavier oil. I didn't, I would not consider an oil weight over 40 as being healthy.

next (or at the same time) you should check your oil pressure as this is another root cause (aside from failed lifters). if you suspect the engine is worn or you're down on oil pressure, replace both the primary and secondary timing chain tensioners. probably a good idea anyway, the primary is easy and the secondary is fairly straightforward, neither are very expensive.

if you're really down on oil pressure, consider the oil pump and/or a bottom-end rebuild at the very least. if you don't believe oil pressure to be the cause, tackle the lifters.

IMO do not waste your time taking out the lifters and cleaning them - unless you are very comfortable with all that labor.. which you may be.

my lifters were very loud and got worse (amplified by oil consumption before rebuilding the motor). at a slight overfill of oil it was better but not great. Rislone cleaner treatment helped temporarily but was not a permanent fix, I believe the effect was mainly a result of topping off the sump.

my S50 had about 120k miles, and didn't pass an oil pressure check. I replaced the oil pump and rebuilt the entire thing, found problems at the thrust journal/bearing of the crankshaft. I then replaced all 24 lifters. it's a very expensive endeavor but such is owning a 24v E30. now the motor is healthy and I am happy.

start saving up and shopping the best price on lifters now.

Comment

Originally posted by butters View Post
        I dealt with this at length.

try shell rotella t6 5w-40, overfill a smidge.

if that doesn't quiet the engine to your liking, maybe try a heavier oil. I didn't, I would not consider an oil weight over 40 as being healthy.

next (or at the same time) you should check your oil pressure as this is another root cause (aside from failed lifters). if you suspect the engine is worn or you're down on oil pressure, replace both the primary and secondary timing chain tensioners. probably a good idea anyway, the primary is easy and the secondary is fairly straightforward, neither are very expensive.

if you're really down on oil pressure, consider the oil pump and/or a bottom-end rebuild at the very least. if you don't believe oil pressure to be the cause, tackle the lifters.

IMO do not waste your time taking out the lifters and cleaning them - unless you are very comfortable with all that labor.. which you may be.

my lifters were very loud and got worse (amplified by oil consumption before rebuilding the motor). at a slight overfill of oil it was better but not great. Rislone cleaner treatment helped temporarily but was not a permanent fix, I believe the effect was mainly a result of topping off the sump.

my S50 had about 120k miles, and didn't pass an oil pressure check. I replaced the oil pump and rebuilt the entire thing, found problems at the thrust journal/bearing of the crankshaft. I then replaced all 24 lifters. it's a very expensive endeavor but such is owning a 24v E30. now the motor is healthy and I am happy.

start saving up and shopping the best price on lifters now.
        hmm ok.

happy and sad to read that. ill definitely try the flush and hope that works. but i will be checking the oil pressure soon. i have to do the oil pan gasket soon so that's probably a great time to fix the oil pump if that's the problem.

thanks for the responce

Comment

Originally posted by hidden_edirty_power View Post
          hmm ok.

happy and sad to read that. ill definitely try the flush and hope that works. but i will be checking the oil pressure soon. i have to do the oil pan gasket soon so that's probably a great time to fix the oil pump if that's the problem.

thanks for the responce
          yea if you're doing the oil pan gasket you'll have the chance to inspect your bottom end. take advantage of that, and definitely check oil pressure beforehand so you are prepared. good luck.

Comment

how to fix bad lifters?

pay ~$30 each and replace the bad ones with new.

if the target fix cost is $0 then some ghetto r3v tactics must be used:

acquire replacement lifters that are still good for $0 and change them. I suppose one could walk in and out of pnp over and over again with some oily pockets; or hire an illegal immigrant to do the deed for you.

.....beastie boys.....lifter pimps anyone?
            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Gotta love r3v... S52 swap ticking and looking for the cheapest fix.

Try Rotella T6 ($23 at WalMart) and seafoam
              My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                pay ~$30 each and replace the bad ones with new.
                just to put it out there, they can be found for ~$20. makes a difference when we're talking a quantity of 24 pieces.

Comment

just to put it out there, they can be found for ~$20. makes a difference when we're talking a quantity of 24 pieces.
                  I'm not the most shopaholic here; I usually drive to Weatherford BMW for parts.

I suggest a professional like blunt posting what they actually cost for r3v members; perhaps i'll need some for the race e30 m50 also. The grocery getter s52 is only tickytocky when I run 30 minutes flat out on the track; around town its ridiculously quiet
                  OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                    I'm not the most shopaholic here; I usually drive to Weatherford BMW for parts.

I suggest a professional like blunt posting what they actually cost for r3v members; perhaps i'll need some for the race e30 m50 also. The grocery getter s52 is only tickytocky when I run 30 minutes flat out on the track; around town its ridiculously quiet
                    This. I'm in for the cost of some new lifters!

Comment

Last engine that sounded horrendous, we just replaced them all. Owner said do it. We did, noise gone problem solved.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I've got some lifter tick in my E34 with an M50. It comes and goes but is much more frequent in the warmer months. Without tearing into it, it seems to be an oil pressure issue as it is mostly just at idle. Thinking it may be a gummed oil passage.

I was suggested by someone on here a method of clearing it up by changing your oil with 4qts Rotella 10w-40, can of seafoam, bottle of Marvel Mystery oil and a bottle of ATF. Go run the piss out of the car for 30 min or so then immediately drain the oil and change the filter. This is supposed to clear out whatever is gumming up the passages or the lifter. I have yet to try it but was told this has worked on numerous cars for him.
                        91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                          I've got some lifter tick in my E34 with an M50. It comes and goes but is much more frequent in the warmer months. Without tearing into it, it seems to be an oil pressure issue as it is mostly just at idle. Thinking it may be a gummed oil passage.

I was suggested by someone on here a method of clearing it up by changing your oil with 4qts Rotella 10w-40, can of seafoam, bottle of Marvel Mystery oil and a bottle of ATF. Go run the piss out of the car for 30 min or so then immediately drain the oil and change the filter. This is supposed to clear out whatever is gumming up the passages or the lifter. I have yet to try it but was told this has worked on numerous cars for him.
                          Yeah I just got done doing this.I Followed those instructions exactly. I didn't make a difference for me. So what I'm going to do next is get my oil pressure tested, I'm suspecting I may need a new oil pump. Also I've been told that the vanos will sometimes knock and this sounds very similar to noisy lifters. So I'll be investigating those next and see where that takes me

Comment

Odd, I've run either 5w-50 or 15w-50 in all my swaps that didn't get 10w60. . .

Luckily BMW printed this handy viscosity chart in the owner's manual. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                              Odd, I've run either 5w-50 or 15w-50 in all my swaps that didn't get 10w60. . .

Luckily BMW printed this handy viscosity chart in the owner's manual. ;)
                              I'm happy to be corrected on this point, if it means a smoother running engine.

What year did that manual come from? Is it an E36/M3 manual, or M20? Just to be sure. Of course we always hear about how engine oils have come pretty far in 20 years etc.

See this bimmerforums thread on the subject. You're right there are a couple, but not many -50 weight oils on the list.

Comment

Working...
                              X