please help me identify/diagnose this sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help me identify/diagnose this sound

i am getting the following sound from underneath the car after i've driven it pretty hard and i'm idling in neutral with the clutch out. as soon as i clutch-in the sound goes away. i also don't get the sound when the car is cold or after i've only driven it lightly without really pushing it. any idea as to what it might be?

thanks in advance.

E46t

Have you tride to change the clutch it might be that its scrachig your presshur plate??

Comment

That noise is probably from wear in the transmission input shaft bearings since it only occurs with the car stationary, the transmission in neutral, and the clutch engaged.

A change of transmission fluid to RedLine MTL may reduce the noise. Unless it gets a lot worse it isn't anything to be concerned about.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Sounds like a throw out bearing taking a dump...change it when you do your next clutch job.

Comment

Originally posted by yobless View Post
          Sounds like a throw out bearing taking a dump...change it when you do your next clutch job.
          yup thats what it pretty much is bro good luck and if i were you id fix that asap :)
          Originally posted by InuFaye
          silver is old man color car. you need dat BRO-SECA BLUE.
          Originally posted by blunttech
          so true.. never let them know where you live..I almost ended up in jail when I was raping young women on craigslist
          Originally posted by george graves
          An S5x is like the girl you want to marry - an m30 is the girl you don't bring home to mom.

Comment

Originally posted by yobless View Post
            Hmm only if he were driving a POS Bronco 2. I say front bearing as noted above. Could also be the lay shaft bearings.
            sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
            The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

im thinking clutch or pressure plate

Comment

funny

Im having the same noise. I'm thinking throw out bearing or at least hoping. I pulled my trans last night and should have a new one in a day or so. But I will changing the clutch and press plate, as well as get the fly resurfaced. I will let you now if it goes away.

Quick question tho, Does it make that sound when rolling or stopped in neutral?

Mine makes it when driving and gets faster the more speed I pick up. By the time I get to 45-50mph its just a loud hum. But if I'm stopped it depends where it lands if its loud or not, but if it's loud when I'm siting in neutral I literally roll forward about a foot then it goes away or if I push the clutch in it always goes away.

Comment

thanks everyone for chiming in. based on the first couple of responses here (as well as discussion offline with others), it doesn't sound too serious and may even be fairly common in the transmissions for these cars?

Originally posted by Hachi View Post
                  Quick question tho, Does it make that sound when rolling or stopped in neutral?
                  i'm not able to hear anything when the car is in motion, even when it's coasting to a stop. that doesn't necessarily mean the sound isn't there; it very well could be, it's just that the sound of tire noise, engine noise, and other ambient sounds is greater, and thus, masks this particular sound. even at idle it's not an especially loud noise.

E46t

Comment

could it really be the throw out bearing? it's not moving when your foot isn't on the clutch. I think it's the input shaft bearing as Jim said. TOB would probably lead to engagement issues as well.
                    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                      That noise is probably from wear in the transmission input shaft bearings since it only occurs with the car stationary, the transmission in neutral, and the clutch engaged.

A change of transmission fluid to RedLine MTL may reduce the noise. Unless it gets a lot worse it isn't anything to be concerned about.
                      i have to 100% agree.
                      clutch in, noise goes away = transmission input shaft bearing.
                      clutch out, noise goes away = bad throw out bearing.
                      Much wow
                      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                      X