Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far should bolts go through block when on engine stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far should bolts go through block when on engine stand?

I mounted a 24v motor to an engine stand getting it ready for a swap. Currently my bolts (90mm) are just flush with the tranny holes in the block. Is this good to go or should they be a little longer? Also, are washers recommended where the stand mounts to the block or is that only a concern for aluminum blocks?

Thanks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

You're good.
    You can't go farther than all the way...
    t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Over 75% of the load on a bolt is taken up by the first 3 threads, so you are good to go.

Comment

I always use washers just for security, never hurts to spread out the load a bit on the surface. Here's a good visualization of the load on particular bolt threads:

Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

If you're all the way through the block, you're good. I mean... can't really improve on that.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
            If you're all the way through the block, you're good. I mean... can't really improve on that.
            You could weld on a bung, add a few gussets, maybe create an elaborate truss...

:D
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
              You could weld on a bung, add a few gussets, maybe create an elaborate truss...

:D
              :devil: kind of what I was thinking... a flying butress.
              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                You're good.
                You can't go farther than all the way...
                t
                Amen brother

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Too funny. Thanks for the comments, especially the load visual... and jokes.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X