Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time does speeding save? Speedr - Android app that shows time saved speeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    And to think, I've been doing this in my head for all of these years

What needs to be considered when taking a long trip is whether time saved outweighs the cost of extra gas burned. The difference between 70 to 80 mph is an ~8% drop in fuel economy for me, with my wide high performance tires, 4.10 rear and horrible aero speed makes a bigger difference in fuel economy vs a stock E30. Not that I worry, if I was pressed to afford gas I'd just commute solely on my motorcycle again.

Timed lights... it depends on what point in their cycle you pull onto the road. No way to beat them unless you know the precise timing and leave your house at the correct time every time.
    In California, they use to post optimum speeds on main roads in order to make all green lights. The posted speed would say 35, and another sign would read optimum speed 32 mph. When pressure plates were installed, the need for optimum speed was removed. Most signals are now are a crap shoot. I wish they would go back to those days.

ATTENTION:

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT DONE SO, PLEASE DO SO AT THIS TIME

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
      What needs to be considered when taking a long trip is whether time saved outweighs the cost of extra gas burned. The difference between 70 to 80 mph is an ~8% drop in fuel economy for me, with my wide high performance tires, 4.10 rear and horrible aero speed makes a bigger difference in fuel economy vs a stock E30. Not that I worry, if I was pressed to afford gas I'd just commute solely on my motorcycle again.
      I'd like to add increased fuel consumption estimates in a future version. Either by reading from the OBD2 port or via rough estimations. Right now Speedr helps you understand the time factor of speeding. A wholistic view of all the costs of speeding would be even better.

Comment

One of the things I like about r3v is that someone posting a new idea, even if they are just here to sell something, we don't run them out on a rail. People hear them out and add their two cents. Unless you're a total retard.

All I know is that with a m30b35 in my e30, MPG seems to follow the (inverse) square of the speed above 60mph. At 85, I can almost watch the gauge move.

But my favorite game when driving long distance it to break it down into percentage of the trip. On a long 400 mile trip, you'll just be getting situated in the car when you pass the 20 mile mark. That's 5% done. And you just keep doing that the whole way. A few stories and songs later, you'll be 20 percent done. It works - trust me!

If you want to be reckless and drive at or close to the speed that can send you to jail, that where the real time savings come in. Not 5 or 10 above. I may have or not may have shaved a 4 hour and 50 min drive down to 3 hours and 35 mins - but I was young and dumb. I'd never do that again.

If you want to see a pro at work, getting the coast to coast speed record(at the time), you've got to watch 32hours7minutes - it's a documentary that follows Alex Roy in a BMW m5 going from NYC to Venice beach. It's required viewing for any car nut - and follows the history of the cannon ball. http://www.32hours7minutes.com/

Last edited by george graves; 03-12-2017, 07:17 AM.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
        X