Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else find their UUC SSK to be sloppy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else find their UUC SSK to be sloppy?

When I got my E30, the whole shifter assembly was completely shot, so I bought a UUC shifter, and installed it. I've driven it a bit, and found that it's sloppy, and extremely notchy (part of which is probably the trans fluid, but that's a separate issue). When I examined it, I found that when changing gears, the shift lever would move up, and forward. In other words, the ball of the shifter is sliding up on the lower bushing when I shift, instead of staying centered in the bushing. I hope that makes sense.

I looked in UUC's instructions, and it said that a sloppy shifter could be because the snap ring is not in its groove, but it was, so that's not the problem. I'm pretty sure everything was installed correctly, so I doubt that's it. I measured, and when pulling up on the shifter, it looks like it goes up 4mm.

Anyone else have this issue? Just wanted to check here first to see if anyone else had the problem and fixed it before I email UUC.
    Last edited by rturbo 930; 12-04-2011, 12:07 PM.

When you installed the UUC shifter did you also replace all of the wear parts? Shifter cup ring, fore & aft shift console bushings, selector rod bushings, and selector adapter? If not, do that and see if you still have the problem.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

It's all new. New selector joint, linkage, and associated bushings, new carrier bushings, new cup ring, etc. Only thing I didn't replace is the rear carrier bushing, which is currently in the mail. The carrier doesn't move much though - 1mm (measured).

Comment

I used metal washers instead of the yellow plastic ones and it's super tight.
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I got a DSSR with it, so that part of my linkage is super tight as well, I'm really happy with that part of the kit. It's just the shift lever itself giving me issue. The ball (outlined in red) is riding up on the lower bushing (in green) when I shift. Seems like the spring on top isn't strong enough, or something isn't installed right (doubtful, but I'll double check on Thursday).

Comment

those uuc ss are not inexpensive either

Comment

Working...
            X