G260 crap shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G260 crap shoot?

So I realized last night my 4th gear is silent my 5th gear has a slight whine compared to fourth. Actually, all gears whine when compared to fourth. Is this my synchros being worn? It sucks.

I guess rebuilding the synchros is. It's prohibitive so all I can really do is buy another used one, clearly the problem here is that it could be bad/worse than my current one.

What should I do?

A whine while in gear is wear in the gears and/or bearings. Before you contemplate a rebuild or replacement try a different transmission fluid. I'd suggest RedLine MTL.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      A whine while in gear is wear in the gears and/or bearings. Before you contemplate a rebuild or replacement try a different transmission fluid. I'd suggest RedLine MTL.
      jay thanks,
      I just logged in to edit my first post as I am already running MTL

Comment

With the noise present with MTL I'd try changing the fluid to ATF 4. If that makes the noise louder, start looking for a transmission.

Comment

With the noise present with MTL I'd try changing the fluid to ATF 4. If that makes the noise louder, start looking for a transmission.

Why do I get the feeling it will be louder w atf4

Comment

It's common in a 260 , my tranny whines from 1st to 3rd while its ice cold. after that it goes away.

Comment

depends on how bad the whine is what I would do with it. My last G260 sounded like a fuckin rock crusher with the whining. I changed fluids (multiple times) but in the end, the mass of filings on the drain plug, and the fact that the fluid was black as hell within a couple hundred miles led me to replace it.

I would base your decision off of the drain plug, if there are a bunch of filings on it (looks like its growing fur) then bin the trans and get a new one.
              I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Mine whines in 3rd. I just ignore it and pretend its a DTM car or something.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

this?
                  Our most versatile ATF, use where Dexron III®, Dexron II®, Mercon® and Mercon V® fluids are recommended, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection

Comment

Yes.

Comment

whats the point of using the atf?
                      is it heavier?
                      why is it preferrable to mt90 and what would using it accomplish?

Comment

Working...
                      X