Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little help with my transmission (G260)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little help with my transmission (G260)

Hey everyone,

I have a 1990 325is with about 175k miles. I picked it up about a month ago. It drives and runs good but I want to do some maintenance and hopefully make the transmission a bit smoother. According to the VIN plate on the tranny it is not original. I was up under it last night trying to figure out which I have so I know which fluid to get. I want to replace the rear LSD fluid and transmission fluid. I attached a few pictures. I did not see any any label indicating fluid type, just a female hex drain and fill plug (I assume 17mm). Which fluid should I go with? I also saw two items of concern: the transmission bracket/brace thing that attaches to the body and exhaust at the cat looks like it has seen better days. Is it worth replacing? The actual crossmember with bushings is solid and in good shape. Second, the black wire coming from the shifter to the top right side of the housing has been rubbing on the transmission output and burned through the insulation. What wire is this? I assume it has to with cruise control or reverse? Probably need to replace it. I could not find where it normally gets held so that this doesn't happen.

Thanks for any advice!

Working...
X