Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it mean/say about us who drive E30s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noid View Post

To put it into perspective, age wise, The E30 is to the public now as the 1600/2002 was to me when I first got into E30's 11 years ago.
    That's an interesting insight, I never would have thought of it like that. I've had my E30 for almost 13 years now; here in the Bay Area there were tons of E30s running around back then- now I see them much more seldomly.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

I've been daily driving e30's since I got my license at 18, I am 24 now and have done almost everything from maintenance related tasks as well as tasteful modifications and a few upgrades to minor restoration including the interior (seats, carpet, dash stuff) and a full vinyl wrap. Everything has been diy and countless trips to junk yards, auto parts and hardware stores and I am always learning and working on new things. I'd like to think the majority of other motorists appreciate my car almost as much as I do and can respect the fact that a lot of work and love goes into it daily to keep it in the shape that it is in considering I drive it hard, almost recklessly, but then again who doesn't? Almost all e3owners I know and have met, agree to some extent, while others boast, of how talented and aggressively they drive their e30's. Also the main reason most people get an e30 nowadays, because you can drive the piss out of them, can easily push the car to its limits or yours and can repair it fairly easily when parts do wear out and break. Honestly, most people probably just think I am a douche bag or a wannabe drifter/ boyracer or both LOL but that's ok because I learned a long time ago not to care about what other people say or think. Most times I get the usual thumbs up, lots of compliments, people in other cars constantly staring\ rubbernecking, also a lot of people share their memories and experiences with the e30. Owning an e30 is more of a lifestyle to me than a fashion statement to other people. I had a great time reading all of the posts on this thread, lots of good folks out here!

Comment

My daughter is graduating in May. Her friends want to buy E30s because I drive one. I told them not to because they don't even know how to change the oil in their beat-up Camrys. In my area, there is one other E30 and a 528. The driver in the 528 waves at me everyday as we pass each other to work. I don't get much reaction here, but when I was in Madison people complimented my car daily.

Comment

I am going to be turning 49 this year and i have owned my E30 now going on 17 years. I think it's cool how people driving by or walking by and give me a thumbs up :up:. My wife still doesn't understand why lol. But... I don't get the same reaction from people,like when i'm driving my 450 hp 1972 El Camino. It's a different breed.But none the less i will take it. :D I really don't care what they think of me personally from a status point of view. I'm a easy person to get along with. Just don't judge me because of what kinda car i drive.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

It says "that there is a car nerd. Beware."
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I was driving down the street once, and this guy covered his ears as I was passing him by, so my guess is douche bag.....

Actually, I get a lot of compliments (from all walks of life, EVEN GURLZ BRO), waves and thumbs up almost every time my 2dr, but my vert attracts no attention for some reason. It's pretty clean too... Even kids get stoked when I'm driving by. They'll ask me to r3v it :p

The condition of your e30 probably says a lot too. One of my old e30s was beat to shit and sketched people out when I drove it around. Kids would go run inside at the sight of it.
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

e30 owners? Anal, backwards, stubborn, unwilling to get something newer, faster, more comfortable; obsessive compulsive. Not only do you have to be into cars to like the e30, but it is also the enthusiast's enthusiast car.

ya know how normal people think car guys are boring as shit? Well it's the epitome of that.

That being said, I've made some great friends in my time of e30 ownership and have learned more than I ever knew about car repair. I don't see myself parting with the bmw any time soon

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

E30's

They make a great conversation piece.

Comment

It used to mean we were broke..
                    Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                    A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                      It used to mean we were broke..
                      LOL some of us are. ;D

Some really great replies in the thread both funny and insightful. Keep them coming!
                      Estoguy
                      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

I was fortunate enough to overhear a conversation between a retired couple in a local coffee shop about my car, which was parked right outside their window:

"That's a nice looking car."

"It's an old BMW I think."

"I don't think I've seen one like that before."

"It looks really well looked after."

I sadly haven't had it out much since I bought it, but I'm willing to bet that most people in my area don't know what an E30 M3 is. :p

I've had a fair amount of reaction from enthusiasts with all of my cars over the years, but I tend to run errands at odd hours when I'm not likely to run into a lot of people. The only local car show nearby caters to a much older crowd with classic American cars - the German cars are just about invisible.
                        Last edited by Shock(/\)ave; 03-08-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Best Car I Have Ever Driven

I have had a 1990 vert since new.

I continue to drive it because I have never driven anything that is more fun to drive, because it looks awesome and it is easy to maintain

Here's a picture

EE30
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by efe1959 View Post
                            I have had a 1990 vert since new.

I continue to drive it because I have never driven anything that is more fun to drive, because it looks awesome and it is easy to maintain

Here's a picture

EE30
                            That's an awfully nice E30!

Comment

I get a lot of mixed reactions.

My brother thinks I am a hipster.

My coworkers (I work for a BMW dealer) love it.

Driving around town I get a lot of looks (more than when I am out in a modern M car)

For me it's all about the drive and how it is more pure and mechanical than the modern ones.

Comment

Originally posted by BoulderE30 View Post
                                I get a lot of mixed reactions.

My brother thinks I am a hipster.

My coworkers (I work for a BMW dealer) love it.

Driving around town I get a lot of looks (more than when I am out in a modern M car)

For me it's all about the drive and how it is more pure and mechanical than the modern ones.

Exactly! I get more compliments for my e30 Cabrio, than for my new M3 - and honestly I love and drive the e30 much more. It's like you're saying, the pure driving feeling makes me feel 30 years younger :D

Comment

Working...
                                X