Determining Fuel Tank Size on '87 Convertible - 55 liter versus 63 liter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining Fuel Tank Size on '87 Convertible - 55 liter versus 63 liter

My fuel tank is cracked and leaking so I need to replace it. I have been reading in the E30 Restoration Bible by Andrew Everett that the 1987 Convertible model had 2 different fuel tank sizes that year.

55 liter is Pre-September 1987
    63 liter is Post-September 1987

How would I determine which category my car falls into?

Thanks!

That information is incorrect, and has been covered before here. Short answer, if you have the little metal crossover pipe at the bottom of the tank you should have a 55L. You can put either in any E30 if you move some things on some models.

Comment

AFAIK only 4 cyl cars ever got the smaller tank here. There may be oddball models in europe, but there's no 'year' cutoff for the tank size.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        AFAIK only 4 cyl cars ever got the smaller tank here. There may be oddball models in europe, but there's no 'year' cutoff for the tank size.
        Which includes the M3 in case that's not clear.

Comment

I have a fairly new fuel tank I removed from an 87 vert I parted a while back. Pm me if interested in it! Also post 9/87 would be considered an 88.
          The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

We did. Goes by production date. Basically if you have an external pressure pump and internal lift pump, then you have the small tank. We have upgraded many cars to the later style for clients (specially the endurance race cars).
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

You are correct, I have learned something new about E30s today, that I did not know before. Who thought that was possible?

9/87 is the cutoff.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yep, my '87iS (11/86 build) has the small tank.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                X