No announcement yet.

3D Printed Parts Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a tool kit for the trunk that you could customize for other tools would be neat.

Comment

Ive got a 3d printer myself and i dabbled with making little widgets here and there. The issue i think is that 3d printed parts by nature dont have the best texture to them, they are made in layers so you'll always see the layers. Make the layers small enough and it can look ok, but it wont match the rest of the interior parts on the car.

Best idea ive seen is to hit it with some spray bog, sand it back and then paint it with good paint. but its alot of effort when it might be easier to just track down a new/good condition OEM replacement piece. Or you hit it with an alcantara/swede/leather covering.

Proptotyping and making moulds i think is where 3d printing is at the moment in the automotive industry, not necessarily producing finished pieces. Unless of course its where texture doesnt matter. The remote control plane/car/drone guys are having a ball with 3d printed parts. Though i have made a few brackets and bits and bobs for my car with the 3d printer but they cant be seen etc.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        Ive got a 3d printer myself and i dabbled with making little widgets here and there. The issue i think is that 3d printed parts by nature dont have the best texture to them, they are made in layers so you'll always see the layers. Make the layers small enough and it can look ok, but it wont match the rest of the interior parts on the car.

Best idea ive seen is to hit it with some spray bog, sand it back and then paint it with good paint. but its alot of effort when it might be easier to just track down a new/good condition OEM replacement piece. Or you hit it with an alcantara/swede/leather covering.

Proptotyping and making moulds i think is where 3d printing is at the moment in the automotive industry, not necessarily producing finished pieces. Unless of course its where texture doesnt matter. The remote control plane/car/drone guys are having a ball with 3d printed parts. Though i have made a few brackets and bits and bobs for my car with the 3d printer but they cant be seen etc.
        You can acetone vapor ABS to become smooth.

Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Interesting.

I wonder if you can maintain tolerances using that method. Depends what you are making i suppose as to weather that is an issue or not.

Comment

That's really cool. The one on the left almost looks like a piece of ceramic. I also like the tool box idea mentioned above.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

most 3D printers people buy for home projects are toys and the quality is average with limited materials. a high end machine makes some good parts and some materials are quite impressive
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
                What kind of plastic did you use?
                I didn't print it, but if I had to guess based on appearance I'd say it's ABS.

I only just ordered my first 3D printer, once I have it and start printing I'm sure I'll be able to identify materials a little better.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Convertible top strut sleeve. NLA and generally needed when replacing the struts. ABS would probably be a good choice.

P/N 54311943751

Description here: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/54311943751/
                  Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                  1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                  Palm Beach County

Comment

Since we're fantasizing ... dashboards (wouldn't that be nice?)
                    ainadude
                    Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

1991 325i 2dr. 5sp, delphin, w/freshly re-skinned IS sport seats/15" Ronal cross-spokes

1976 Triumph Spitfire w/1.8-liter Miata engine/transmission, koa dash with TR6 oil/volt gauges, lowered suspension, 14" Minilite replicas and more

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I've been meaning to make a replacement of the plastic section of the rear pop-out window latches. I've had a half broken latch on my desk for months, just haven't gotten around to modeling it yet.

But I do have a 3d printer in the cube next to me!

Item 4:
                      sigpic
                      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

The left and right convertible flapper piece.

Comment

Tweeter pods like factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
                            Like this?

BMW M50 TPS Adapter for BMW M20 throttle bodies. For megasquirt and other standalone engine control management options.

I'm not sure how well this plastic would stand up to heat. I'd have to find dimensions and someone to test it for awhile through heat cycles.
                            Why bother with plastic at $27 when aluminum ones are $35?

If the plastic one was $15, I'd say there would be a reason to get plastic.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                            X