No announcement yet.

Turning point for e30s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, I don't *HOON* like others may do, so even when i wasn't swapped, i did ok with gas. Filled up about once every 6 days when i used the e30 to daily for work, putting in 60-70 miles a day on m20 or s50.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
      Does anyone else get tired of constantly filling up your m20? If anything the swap is just more economical... idk if you all are able to keep evap aystems in place etc on the swaps but yeah...I fill up my e30 so god damn much I'm considering a newer car simply to save on gas money. After I had refreshed my m54b25 in my e46 I was putting up 30mpg highway under the right conditions which was nuts considering it was an xi
      If your engine is working right you should be in the 20's, which sure by today's standards maybe is low but it's not bad. I would take that over the 14 I get in my M3!
      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I think the kids who used to chop up E30s are settled into Golfs and Subarus.
        Certainly there's been an eruption of fart-can faux WRXs here in salt city.
        The Golfs actually sound pretty good.

Comment

Does anyone else get tired of constantly filling up your m20? If anything the swap is just more economical... idk if you all are able to keep evap aystems in place etc on the swaps but yeah...I fill up my e30 so god damn much I'm considering a newer car simply to save on gas money. After I had refreshed my m54b25 in my e46 I was putting up 30mpg highway under the right conditions which was nuts considering it was an xi
          No excuse for bad fuel economy. Mym20b23 consistently gets around 9L/100km. You can work out what that is in freedom units but its definatly acceptable for a 33yr old 6clr.

Comment

Agreed - the M20s aren't that bad.

Still - now I've bought the 320d as a DD, filling up once every 3 weeks or so is a good thing!

If you're serious about fuel economy, someone needs to perfect the N47 swap into the e30 :) With 300kg less than an e90 to push around it would be both quick and very cheap to run.

Been looking at a few stats around the e90 driveline - mechanically the swap wouldn't be that bad, the ratios in the 6 speed manual would work really well with a 3.15 or 3.25 LSD, the X-factor would be electronics of course.
            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Whew! The title of this thread made me think this was an intervention for me. Turning Point is the name of a local addiction rehab center. I was about to say “fuck all you guys” and run out yelling “you’ll never take all my M Tech and NOS parts!”

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                [...] You can work out what that is in freedom units [...]

you, i like you.

Comment

What are you complaining about? If your car is running right you should be getting in the mid 20s mpg wise. I'm cool with getting ~16mpg average and ~18-19mpg on the highway. That's the price of driving a turbocharged car and not staying out of boost.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    What are you complaining about? If your car is running right you should be getting in the mid 20s mpg wise. I'm cool with getting ~16mpg average and ~18-19mpg on the highway. That's the price of driving a turbocharged car and not staying out of boost.
                    I could get mid 20's out of my m20b27... but low 20's only (highway) in my b25 in the convertible. Average city/hwy of about 18mpg. M42 was awesome pre-boost @ ~35mpg highway. Post boost was still 28mpg.

I think filling up all the time is a bi-product of the small gas tank more than it is of the mileage though.
                    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                    -----------------------------------------
                    91 318is Turbo Sold
                    87 325 Daily driver Sold
                    06 4.8is X5
                    06 Mtec X3
                    05 4.4i X5 Sold
                    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                    90 325i Sold
                    97 328is Sold
                    01 323ci Sold
                    92 325i Sold
                    83 528e Totaled
                    98 328i Sold
                    93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                      I think filling up all the time is a bi-product of the small gas tank more than it is of the mileage though.
                      This. I can do twice the mpg in my e30 compared to my truck but the truck has twice the gas tank size so similar stopping points on road trips. Pricewise love filling the e30 up over the truck lol.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Post boost was still 28mpg.
                        That's impressive. I never saw much over 20mpg with my Turbo M42.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          That's impressive. I never saw much over 20mpg with my Turbo M42.
                          Only getting 26/27 in my stock M42 with a 4.44 rear end, not bad, but not great. Think I got more like 29 with the 4.10.

I do love the 500+ mile range in my E39 530i, but never considered filling up the E30 or total range restriction to be a hassle.

Oddly I am bothered by the lack of range and frequent fill ups with my 318ti that has an S52. For reference, it has the same 14.5 gallon tank capacity as small tank E30s.

Comment

Wonder why I was getting such good mileage with my m42? Both stock and FI. Had 4.10 gearing. Engine was a BMW purchased long block bought in 2002(ish) I think... maybe that had something to do with it? Curious at any rate.
                            "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                            -----------------------------------------
                            91 318is Turbo Sold
                            87 325 Daily driver Sold
                            06 4.8is X5
                            06 Mtec X3
                            05 4.4i X5 Sold
                            92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                            90 325i Sold
                            97 328is Sold
                            01 323ci Sold
                            92 325i Sold
                            83 528e Totaled
                            98 328i Sold
                            93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              we should have a meat up at the shop and you all can motivate me to put the 323 driveline together :)
                              This should happen. Oh, and we should grill something.
                              sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Wonder why I was getting such good mileage with my m42? Both stock and FI. Had 4.10 gearing. Engine was a BMW purchased long block bought in 2002(ish) I think... maybe that had something to do with it? Curious at any rate.
                                Being a far newer engine might have something to do with it. Driving style probably accounts for the rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X