Melon's E30 Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majdomo View Post
    Vacuum hoses good? Simple shit sometimes.

Ezekiel 25:17
    All brand new.

I even bought a pack of smokes last night, mostly out of frustration and began to blow smoke into the intake via the fuel regulator tube.

Zero leaked out.
    I do things.

Comment

I've spent the past few days diagnosing what's going on, to no avail. Checked the valve clearances again, all good, tried different injectors, same rough idle. Unplug AFM, it stalls, so it's working, same thing with TPS and ICV. No vacuum leaks, no clogs in any fuel line either. It does it with both FPR's I have.

I have new injectors and new spark plugs and wires on the way.
      I ripped a lead on my new wires, and am using the old set. It's probably fine, but I'm trying to reduce variables.

Really not sure what else to check. Going to fix a nasty exhaust leak, and wait for new parts to arrive.
      I do things.

Comment

Fantastic key chain "Remove before flight!" Great job thusly.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
          All brand new.

I even bought a pack of smokes last night, mostly out of frustration and began to blow smoke into the intake via the fuel regulator tube.

Zero leaked out.

Dammit

Ezekiel 25:17
          Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
          The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
          The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
          The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
            Car seems to be running well, but it's idling rough, and dies when coming off the throttle. With the A/C on, it straight up does.
            my car came to me not running and I dealt with idle for months thinking I bent a valve or I just had a bad motor that's skipping a tooth on timing and grinded up some life in my transmission because of the stupid idle.

finally figured mine out after replacing the throttle body switch, that blue computer under the glovebox, and vacuum hoses and doing some vacuum leak testing while inhaling a stupid amount of mineral oil that God knows what if my toilet has yet recovered.

Idle control valve. Junkyard should be cheap

Try cleaning your idle control valve?
            My valve was completely shot so I decided to just permanently restrict the air going through it. drilled a hole in a penny and put it in the intake part of the icv and my car started dieing immediately off throttle and especially with A/C on since I had restricted the icv to much, I made the hole bigger and she idles great.

Before the penny she idled insanely revving from 700-1500 and not letting me get in gear without grindings all the time. Now she's steady dead on 700 with the penny for the past months

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Sonny; 03-23-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I cleaned the ICV and even bought an eBay replacement (that seemed to run worse)

But, I like the penny idea, what size hole did you drill?

As far as the TPS goes, when I unplugged it and the AFM the car died. AFM was restored by Bavarian Restoration, TPS is also new and both worked fine before I serviced the valves.
              I do things.

Comment

Honestly I used a random nail and smacked it in the penny against a piece of wood/tree. To lazy to mount a penny to drill so don't know the size but I'll tell you this, you can try it over and over it'll cost a penny each time. Mine worked great the second time, hole is smaller than the average ladybug. I'd say half the size of a Tic Tac.

When you do this cold starts will be COLD STARTS. She will bog out and die every cold start unless you hold the gas, but don't do it while starting the BMW motors hate getting flooded with someone flooring it while turning the key, and cold 20w-50 oil is sitting at the bottom so don't go past 1.5k rpms during warmup, as soon as the car starts push the gas slightly and warm her up manually for a minute or two, after that you can remove you foot of the gas and she'll hold her idle. I've been running like this for 70 miles daily, seems like the icv did a simple job of just restricting airflow but it costs to much for me to consider a $400 new one. A penny did it all, make sure it is seated straight, I put it against icv and then pushed the icv into the hose to connect. I noticed if I put the penny in the hose first and then the icv right after it made no difference since the penny always finds a way to tilt almost immediately or while driving, so have it against the metal of the icv and them push in fast, youll know if you did it right.

Oh and the eBay one goes in the trash use your original

Last edited by Sonny; 03-24-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I installed new injectors and plug wires, and plugs.

It's running a lot better, still struggling a little off the throttle, more so with the A/C on.

Going to check a few sensors over the weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                  I do things.

Comment

So It was running well last night, just idling poorly.

Went to drive it to work today, and it would start and die, it would only stay running with the throttle opened up a little bit. Think the ICV finally shit the bed.
                    Found one on eBay (Not the Chinese special) so I'll give that a shot.
                    I do things.

Comment

I’m in the same boat brother. Been dealing with surging idle since getting the car running again, can’t find a vacuum leak and everything in the engine bay is brand new. Unplugged the ICV and it didn’t change a thing so bit the bullet and bought a new ICM and ICV, talk about a wallet tap.
                      '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Swapped in the Chinese eBay special ICV, it idles high, but steady, even with the A/C on, it didn't bat an eye. So, I'm hoping that the new one I have coming it, that's an OEM unit will fix it.
                        I do things.

Comment

Normally I work 4-10's at the office, so when I work on Friday, I like to grab some Chic fil et on the way in.

It was hilarious sitting in the drive thru line with my car idling at 2,000 RPM.

I do things.

Comment

Funny you speak of chick fil a, I am almost addicted to that place lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
                              Funny you speak of chick fil a, I am almost addicted to that place lol.
                              That's not good for you try, in n out!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                                That's not good for you try, in n out!

I think the closest one to Baton Rouge is in Austin Texas.
                                I love that place, but a bit far drive for a burger. :p
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X