Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY do the back wheels keep rubbing (16x8 style 5s, 18mm adapters)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHY do the back wheels keep rubbing (16x8 style 5s, 18mm adapters)

I’ve seen countless threads where people claim they can fit e38 style 5s with 205/45/16s and 18mm adapters without rolling or pulling their fenders yet even after an aggressive roll all around followed by an even more aggressive roll on the rears out of frustration, my car continues to rub in certain situations.

I’m running Bilstein sports, H&R Races, and e90 drophats with no spring pads in the front but both pads in the rear.

What can I do? I know you can’t align the rear of an e30 but I replaced all the bushings and I haven’t gotten an alignment yet so is there something I’m missing?

I have 2 new tires for the rear and I want to make sure they aren’t going to get chewed up like my last pair on the fender.

Thanks guys!

Just an update for anyone reading this now, it ended up being the little lumps in the inner fender that I ended up just beating with a hammer and then applying undercoating to. Fixed it right up!
    Last edited by fastestbox; 02-13-2019, 09:19 PM.
    91 318iS - aluminum M52B28 + ZF320 + 3.15 Torsen

Take a look under your fender with some light and see where the tire is rubbing. It's probably not your fender lip anymore, but the thin double walled metal.
    You can tap on it to make space, but be cautious of making outward dents.
    There's also this very hard nub that people grind away sometimes to make clearance.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

From a quick google they are 16 x 8 +23. you've put 18mm adaptors on, which brings em to 16x8 +5? I've got some 15x8 0 offset wheels at home, and there is no way they will fit without significant scrubbing with 5mm more offset. I reckon need an least +25 fit properly.

Id start by putting those spring pads back in the rear, every bit helps.

Comment

+ 1, sounds like your tires are rubbing the curved outer edge of wheel well ceiling; Not the fenders nor the rolled fender lip.
        Folks who run adapters usually are on 205/40. I had filled and drilled style5s, rolled fenders and still managed to occasionally rub the tire sidewall on the fender lip with 205/50.
        Same suspension as yours. I used an extra set of spring pads (two pads in the bottom on each side, stacked) to ease it up a bit.
        » PARTS FOR SALE
        » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Working...
        X