Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthead View Post
    What product did you use?
    I used Meguiars Gold Class. I've had a bottle forever that won't run out, seems to get the job done. This one specifically, it's a thicker compound than the spray bottle and seems to work into the leather better.

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
    Depending on how long you can wait, once I get my Mtech II kit painted and installed I will be selling my IS lip.
    Thanks, let me know! I've got a local buddy with an i and iS lip in black I'm going to buy, just waiting on the paint shop to finish his new lip in white.

Your car is turning into a dream boat!
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      I used Meguiars Gold Class. I've had a bottle forever that won't run out, seems to get the job done. This one specifically, it's a thicker compound than the spray bottle and seems to work into the leather better.

Thanks, let me know! I've got a local buddy with an i and iS lip in black I'm going to buy, just waiting on the paint shop to finish his new lip in white.

Your car is turning into a dream boat!

Any specific technique, tips and tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anthead View Post
        Any specific technique, tips and tricks?
        Sure- it's easy to get impatient and try to "scrub" the grime out of the wheel. It's really important to work in the conditioner slowly/carefully and let it do it's thing, reapplying conditioner when the area you're working dries up. If you "scrub" too hard, especially in a dry, hard to work area, it just ends up scratching/damaging the leather and you have a less than satisfactory result.

Comment

That 370mm Mtech wheel I cleaned up ended up having an horn problem that I can't seem to fix. Randomly comes on when driving for no rhyme or reason. Does not happen when sitting still or turning the wheel in the garage.

I have the fuse 7 pulled currently but really don't care to drive it like that. I've already pulled the wheel off, checked the contact ring height, etc.

In other news, the weather is warming up! Which means my list of things to do to finish this thing off is growing.

-ABS light comes on randomly (I think it's a sensor)
          -Wire up coolant level sensor for m42 rad
          -Install Euro upper rad hose
          -Wire up iX washer fluid setup
          -Reinstall Cruise (heavily regretting cutting off the bracket for clean points)
          -Paint/install MT1 rear spoiler
          -Install Heckblende
          -Finish R134 conversion/install
          -OBC Backlight
          -Proper pads/rotors (just some cheap stuff on there now to get me by)
          -Find some decent used bolsters for the left side of the driver seat
          -Put new lenses on my fogs
          -I finally got a proper detailing setup, so I'm going to fix my clear coat that is failing all over the car and make it look good again (some PDR as well)
          -Install SSSquid MAF Conversion
          -Exhaust leaks all over (pulled this setup from an iX parts car to get the car on the road). I decided to stick with the m20 since it's quite healthy and just finish it off the best I can/complete OEM+ style, so I'll probably do headers finally and a Magnaflow 16535. If I can find a used header setup with a custom midpipe (like Austin just sold) that'd be ideal.
          -I'd really like an E30M3 oil pressure gauge so hopefully I can find something (or even better, cluster that doesn't cost $1k)

Comment

I've been messing with my new polisher and having a blast!

The windshield on Linda was so pitted and scratched with water marks you could hardly see through it in most conditions. I took to it with invisible glass, a razor blade, steel wool, clay, some pretty aggressive compound with a orange hex logic pad, and then finally sealed it with Jetseal to fight against further contamination, water spots, etc.

The results were awesome! So awesome that I did the windshield on the white car as well, and clayed the rest of the glass. I'm now obsessed with glass cleaning.

This is how bad it was pitted:

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

This was after the full process was completed and the sealant cured and was buffed off.

The white iX has half the miles so I didn't have to do nearly as much work to get a great result:

Rear glass after clay:

And Linda has some failing clear coat on the roof and trunk lid, so I am working out a solution to make it look as good as I can. I started by taking a razor blade and getting all of the flaking clear removed. I'm going to wet sand the surrounding clear to minimize the step and am going to polish and seal the base coat. It should really help overall appearance, even though it won't be perfect. Also, it looks like this paint has been obliterated by car washes for 30 years, so it's going to be a fun experiment to get all of the scratches/swirls out and seal it up.

Last edited by AWDBOB; 04-12-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Wow great results on the glass! Really impressed. I bought some cerium oxide and plan to do this as well, glad to see you got it to look so good. Interested to see how you get that peeled clear coat to look, I have the same problem on my c-pillar and would love to get it looking a little better before I finally end up repainting.
              '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                Wow great results on the glass! Really impressed. I bought some cerium oxide and plan to do this as well, glad to see you got it to look so good. Interested to see how you get that peeled clear coat to look, I have the same problem on my c-pillar and would love to get it looking a little better before I finally end up repainting.
                Thanks! Cerium oxide is tried and true but doesn't do much for the heavy pitting. It took a while and I didn't get all of the pitting out but it is worlds better than it was.

I will document the clear coat fix when I get to that. Should be one of these weekends if it decides to stay warm long enough.

Comment

I gave Linda her first real wash since I've had her. I tried a new wash from Chemical Guys, a new microfiber brush (been using an old school horse hair brush for years that I got when I was 15 when I worked at a Mustang Resto shop), and I took my time with clay to remove contaminants to give me a clean slate for polishing and sealing. I dried the car after the wash before clay with a large waffle (waffles) drying towel, and went over the car with two different microfibers after clay to make sure it was 100%.

This paint was in rough shape. Some heavy scratches, hard water marks, imperfections, etc. Linda is a driver, so I don't much mind that, but want to make it look as presentable as I can and seal it up so it doesn't get any worse.

After a detailed wash and clay

IMG_2768 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                  IMG_2769 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                  IMG_2764 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Then I moved inside and got to polishing. I started with the hood..... and ended with the hood. I had to hit each 2x2 section several times to get the finish I'm going for. From here on out, though, it should be a nice and easy cleanup and I shouldn't have to cut like this again.

Starting out:

A couple passes in:

Now we're getting somewhere:

Side by side:

Polished, sealed, delivered

Now I just have to do the rest of the car..... and the white iX....... and the M3......... and my daily...... uh oh.

Comment

Very nice, Bobbie! Car looks great!

I've been doing the same thing to my M5 this last week (took all the bumpers and trim off to get it ridiculously clean) and it's such a rewarding process.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                      Very nice, Bobbie! Car looks great!

I've been doing the same thing to my M5 this last week (took all the bumpers and trim off to get it ridiculously clean) and it's such a rewarding process.
                      Thanks, man! I would love to see some progress on your M5- such a cool car.

I was considering doing the same at this time, but decided to hold off until I do shadowline, bumper trim, etc to complete the exterior refresh (stage 2).

I also found a local today with a solid 5sp E34 535i who is willing to deliver the car to me for $600......aka the swap donor I've been searching for since I decided on an M30. We'll see if it works out here in a few days.

Comment

Slowly but surely finishing up this detail project.

Someone pulled off the pin stripe at some point and left the glue to die with the car. I couldn't live with it anymore so I took on the task of removing it, and also did a light polish on the side of the car. Awaiting the correct cutting pad to finish the side.

I also worked on the failing clear coat on the trunk. It's getting there. The trick I found is trying to get the drop between the clear and base coat as small as possible.

And I had to test fit the new setup going on soon.

Comment

I didn't realize you had so many cars Bobbie. The red one is lookin' super good!

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                            I didn't realize you had so many cars Bobbie. The red one is lookin' super good!
                            Thanks! Getting this thing looking right has been on the back burner for years now, I'm glad it's finally getting done.

Yeah, I have too many. I'll be a happy camper when the white iX sells and it's just Linda and the M3.

Ideally I'd just like to have one "fun" car but I've been saying that since I was 16 and it still hasn't worked out that way yet.

Comment

The only question now is.... to shadowline or not to shadowline?

Oh yeah the other question is how TF do I get my horn to stop going off on this fancy 370mm wheel I freshened up. It's a buzz kill.

Also, Paintscratch didn't turn out so bad.

Comment

Shadowline all the way. I left it unpainted on my last '90 325is, and while it shined up nicely (after many hours of work), it still looks best when painted, IMHO.
                                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                                X