Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ACVC325ix View Post
    Dang it!

How far has anyone gotten on making a completely different front diff and CV axle fit on the IX?
    Is rebuilding a sustainable solution or should we be looking to a different font end with parts that are still available?
    The differential is from a Nissan skyline gtr r32 front diff, and cv joints. Machined to fit the original casing. But the the crown gear is the original bmw gear 3,91.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Dang it!

How far has anyone gotten on making a completely different front diff and CV axle fit on the IX?
      Is rebuilding a sustainable solution or should we be looking to a different font end with parts that are still available?

Rebuilding is fine, I am doing this set now (well, just a basic re-pack, refresh, and swapping over an outer from a pare axle). I was just hoping that RWD stuff would interchange. I will take measurements from the spare and see about parts for the future, though.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Dang it!

With a little cutting and welding a e34 diff and axles can fit.... however if you break those good luck on finding replacements.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I had an axle come apart on me, luckily I was on my way to my friends shop. I lost a couple of the bearings. He had a few old axles sitting in the corner that i disassembled and inspected. The Mitsubishi wasn't even close, the Ford was the same size bearings ( roughly 15mm ). I threw the axle back together with a repack kit and have been driving it for 2 years now without any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by monticello View Post
            I had an axle come apart on me, luckily I was on my way to my friends shop. I lost a couple of the bearings. He had a few old axles sitting in the corner that i disassembled and inspected. The Mitsubishi wasn't even close, the Ford was the same size bearings ( roughly 15mm ). I threw the axle back together with a repack kit and have been driving it for 2 years now without any issues.

Bearings are the easy part. It's the cages we need to source. The axle I repaired yesterday had a snapped inner cage. Was able to swap a left and right inner CV without issue.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

This is why I hardly drive the ix now.

both sets of CV shafts I have click (my original, ~190k set is worse than the ~320k set I have on now, lol). I don't want to risk further damage. Hopefully I can come up with enough 'spare' parts to make at least one good set..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by 88e30ix View Post
                Negative ghost rider

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I just don't understand why someone like FEQ can't make us decent quality front axles at an affordable price. I wonder if someone reached out how many folks it would take for them to get on board.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    This is why I hardly drive the ix now.

both sets of CV shafts I have click (my original, ~190k set is worse than the ~320k set I have on now, lol). I don't want to risk further damage. Hopefully I can come up with enough 'spare' parts to make at least one good set..

Clicking isn't as bad as you think. You probably have gunk in them. It's also a very bad idea to mix grease, they must be 100% clean as mixing of some compounds can actually make the fluid abrasive!

Originally posted by 88e30ix View Post

^^^This is the guy who's car is in the shop lol... Hi Paul!

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                    I just don't understand why someone like FEQ can't make us decent quality front axles at an affordable price. I wonder if someone reached out how many folks it would take for them to get on board.

eww. FEQ is junk. Had a local put them in his 318is 'vert, and he snapped BOTH in an auto-x, another local put them in his m20-powered 14hr endurance car and they had major play after just one race.

I will only supply/install GKN (as new), but I agree, GKN should re-produce them.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      Clicking isn't as bad as you think. You probably have gunk in them. It's also a very bad idea to mix grease, they must be 100% clean as mixing of some compounds can actually make the fluid abrasive!
                      yeah, probably. But they also bind up in reverse at high steering angles. I still think it's funny my set with over 300k miles is in the best condition (and hopefully, as you say, fine). So much for them not lasting long. The other set.. let's just say, I've owned this car since I was like 21, and I may have driven it.. hard.. from time to time. :)

anyway, I'm still avoiding driving it as-is, I can't risk damaging the joints if I don't need to. Maybe I'll pull them all apart, completely clean and re-grease this summer. Funny enough, for a decade now I've kept extra boot kits "in stock" because the passenger side always melted from headers, lol. So it's not like I don't have the stuff to do it.. just lazy I guess. I'll try to get the kids to help. ;)
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Hey Buddy!
                        Drive it like you just stole it! :p

Comment

If a cage has a crack in it, isn't it possible to have a machine shop weld it and machine it back?
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Welding is possible, but machining hardened steel is another story. :(
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              Bearings are the easy part. It's the cages we need to source. The axle I repaired yesterday had a snapped inner cage. Was able to swap a left and right inner CV without issue.

I feel like this finding is a big win! There are way more R/passenger side CV's out there than L/Driver's side as far as I can tell. If the cages are interchangeable and the bearings are readily available then unless you physically snap and axle you are golden no?
                              If we can reliably Frankenstein these with parts that last as long as 190,XXX is that not a win?
                              Otherwise having to machine in an E34 solution means being stuck in an inevitable NLA scenario again....

Comment

Working...
                              X