Help. North Delaware. South jerz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help. North Delaware. South jerz

Long story short my buddy sold his 1999 mcoupe to a guy in Miami. He works and goes to school and I I thought a road trip with the woman would be cool so we left this morning at 1am. On I95 when all of a sudden I hear a thud and constant thuds when I hit bumps. I get off the highway and see the diff mount has broken.

It’s 430 am and we are in a service area in Newark deleware. At the very least we need a diff cover and axle boots. Anyone in the area with a diff cover?

Click image for larger version

Name:	E9F6A73C-4305-4121-81FD-EFF2A20EBDF5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	7252715

Name:	AC236493-732C-4EE2-AEBA-A1CE26C800CE.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	7252716
    Last edited by ttrousdell; 04-30-2018, 01:53 AM.

The Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

what does your buddy selling an M coupe to a guy in Miami have to do with you and your GF deciding to do a road trip? Sounds like you are delivering your friends car to a guy in Miami? Who does that? If you sell a car the buyer arranges transport, why risk damaging the car.

Comment

My friends finned m-cover broke exactly the same way... strange
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

After doing some digging and chatting;
        The way it broke was due from bad installment. The diff mount holder was not properly mounted correctly on the machine causing mini cracks seen or unseen to the eye and eventually breaking from highway pulls.
        Knowing this could happen, gonna buy another cover and due secondary mount via garagisitic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have diff cover(stock and z3m cover) I am about 1 hr away from you. Southern end of lancaster. I see this was this morning

Comment

Originally posted by amg463 View Post
            what does your buddy selling an M coupe to a guy in Miami have to do with you and your GF deciding to do a road trip? Sounds like you are delivering your friends car to a guy in Miami? Who does that? If you sell a car the buyer arranges transport, why risk damaging the car.
            Yes i drove it down for him. I have family down there whom I saw before selling the car so we planned a little vacation out of it. obviously looking back on it it would have been smarter for him to have just shipped it.

Originally posted by fight4life28 View Post
            I have diff cover(stock and z3m cover) I am about 1 hr away from you. Southern end of lancaster. I see this was this morning
            Thanks for the response. By then my buddy who was the owner of the car had sourced a cover and drove the 3 hours to meet me. we changed the cover in the hotel parking lot that night.

Name:	IMG_3071.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	7196745

A little over a year ago he had a shop do about 2 grand worth of welding repairs after he cracked his rear strut towers. It is a common problem to develop cracks in the rear part of the chassis of these cars so ive been told. To make matters worse it was a bagged stance car owned by a kid in his late teens/early 20s who drove it hard. The shop made their own custom diff support bracket out of some pretty thick steel which probably had something to do with the cover cracking.

Anyway after we changed I continued and made it to miami and sold the car several days later.

The Build:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
              yes i drove it down for him. I have family down there whom i saw before selling the car so we planned a little vacation out of it. Obviously looking back on it it would have been smarter for him to have just shipped it.

Thanks for the response. By then my buddy who was the owner of the car had sourced a cover and drove the 3 hours to meet me. We changed the cover in the hotel parking lot that night.
              [ATTACH]121072[/ATTACH]

a little over a year ago he had a shop do about 2 grand worth of welding repairs after he cracked his rear strut towers. It is a common problem to develop cracks in the rear part of the chassis of these cars so ive been told. To make matters worse it was a bagged stance car owned by a kid in his late teens/early 20s who drove it hard. The shop made their own custom diff support bracket out of some pretty thick steel which probably had something to do with the cover cracking.

Anyway after we changed i continued and made it to miami and sold the car several days later.
              niiickkk

e24 e9 e30
              IG: peterkaczynski

Comment

Working...
              X