Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

318ic Muffler Replacement - Back to Stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318ic Muffler Replacement - Back to Stock?

So I bought this 91 318ic last August and have been fixing it up. Repainted, new wheels, it looks great. However, some previous owner put a fart can special muffler on it. I don't know what it is and I don't care, all I know is it sounds like a Civic with emphysema when revving and under load. I need to get rid of it asap but I want to go back to as close to stock as possible. I don't want a raspy, throaty sound(this is a 4 cylinder and a vert, so i hear it more), i just want to go back to as stock as possible. Which aftermarket would achieve this? Borla XS? Bosal? Seeing lots of options out there. Thanks in advance!
    Rokas
    1991 318i Convertible - Lagunengruen 5sp
    2013 Land Rover LR4 HSE

Originally posted by dc318icabrio View Post
    So I bought this 91 318ic last August and have been fixing it up. Repainted, new wheels, it looks great. However, some previous owner put a fart can special muffler on it. I don't know what it is and I don't care, all I know is it sounds like a Civic with emphysema when revving and under load. I need to get rid of it asap but I want to go back to as close to stock as possible. I don't want a raspy, throaty sound(this is a 4 cylinder and a vert, so i hear it more), i just want to go back to as stock as possible. Which aftermarket would achieve this? Borla XS? Bosal? Seeing lots of options out there. Thanks in advance!
    I'd suggest the Stromung or SuperSprint (if your budget allows for it). They sound great and are not annoying like fart cans are. Yes they are a bit throatier than bone stock options, but the sound, fit and finish, and look are much better than bone stock.
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

If the systems that powling aren't in budget, you could probably go with a dynomax super turbo muffler (iirc) or a magna flow. Magnaflow might be a bit loud though, I have that on my 318 with the stock resonator. It sounds like a stock system, but louder. Same goes for the dynomax, but it's quieter than the magnaflow. If it doesn't have the stock resonator, I hear vibrant performance ultra quiet resonators are good. Flowmaster mufflers might be a good option as well. I know they make a good variety of mufflers.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks - very useful. My budget probably won't allow for super sprint or stromung. For magnaflow, what is the item number for the muffler?
        Rokas
        1991 318i Convertible - Lagunengruen 5sp
        2013 Land Rover LR4 HSE

Comment

Working...
        X