Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryan's Hennarot 318is (s54, slicktop conversion, MT2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunno how i haven't come across this thread before, what a great project. love the kids getting involved.

Car painting is a hell of a lot of work in a home gamer environment, but it is very rewarding to say "hey i painted that shiny thing over there" when you are done.

Comment

Shined up the lower quarters and the top of the rear bumper so I could get it on. I'm going to prioritize getting the car together and only polish the areas that will be hard to do when assembled. I'm worried if I don't do this...I'll end up rushing and screw something up. Need to get it in a good enough state to take it over for the new headliner.

I'm pretty happy with the modified mt2 bumper to fit the exhaust. Exhaust fills the hole up nicely.

Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
      COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Got the front bumper, new fogs, and valance on. Sanded through the clear in a small spot on the top of the bumper so I'll have to re-shoot it but that's for another day... It's not really noticeable.
        COTM Aug 2019

Comment

In preparation for dropping the car off to get a headliner put in I finally dug the pristine dash out of the attic. I picked this up in Houston a couple years ago and I'm happy to see that it didn't get ruined sitting in the attic.

Super nasty old dash:

This thing really makes it start to look nice:

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

I always tell myself I don't really care that my dash is cracked till I see one that isn't...looks killer.
            91 318is M50 swapped
            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Damn good work! I got all the gear to shoot my own car a long time ago but never bit the bullet... any tips to do it now? Gun to use etc.? Also was it just practice that made the second time around better or a specific tip?
              Originally posted by e30guydownunder
              Stupid German wookie winning F1 WDC and beating Webs. waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.

Comment

I just want to commend you on this thread, this is 100% where I want to take my 318is. slick-top and S54. I will for sure be coming back here.

Bravo
                91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

wonderful work.

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                    I just want to commend you on this thread, this is 100% where I want to take my 318is. slick-top and S54. I will for sure be coming back here.

Bravo

Thanks man - best of luck on your build!
                    COTM Aug 2019

Comment

My car has been at the shop getting the headliner put in so no major progress. The headliner was a bit hard to figure out for two reasons:
                      1. I took it all out a year ago so I didn't remember how it all went together
                      2. I needed two extra rods for the space that the sunroof used to occupy. The shop sourced some old 5-series rods and I was able to bend them and cut them down to fit. Wish I would have taken a pic.

In the meantime I'm painting all my trim. The paintshop guy recommended this SEM spray and it looks incredible. The prep was easy - pressure washed it, scuffed it with a red scotchbrite, cleaned it with windex, hit it with wax degreaser, and finally with a tack cloth

I'm also trying to figure out how to make the parts that surround the sidemarkers for the mt2. They seem to be NLA and finding them used will be near impossible. I ordered an inexpensive 3D printer that you have to assemble yourself. It showed up in 500 pieces and my son and I are slowly getting it together.
                      COTM Aug 2019

Comment

oh my god. This is 100% on every level

Comment

Progress is moving forward. 3D printer is up and running so next I need to design the mt2 sidemarker surrounds.

I also got my car back from the shop. I can't say enough about Leather Menders (https://www.yelp.com/biz/leather-menders-austin) in Austin. Really down to earth guys. Changing this from a sunroof car to a non-sunroof wasn't easy. They helped me figure out how it all went back together and we decided to remove the vinyl section in the front by the rearview mirrors. Finding a non-sunroof one would probably take me 6 months.

They also dyed my carpet and rear parcel shelf. I wish I had a before picture... even after an hour of pressure washing this carpet it looked more brown from stains than gray in most areas. It looks brand freaking new now.

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Dynomat!

I put it on the roof before the headliner too. Didn't grab a pick though.
                            COTM Aug 2019

Comment

This is going to be quite special when you're done! Keep it up
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Stereo time. Nothing terribly special, but at some point in this cars life someone cut a huge hole in the parcel shelf and stuck a 6x9 in there. I figured what the heck, I'll just stick a slim sub up there and see how it goes.

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Working...
                                X