No announcement yet.

89 325ix starts then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm assuming you checked/replaced the fuel pump?
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post
      I'm assuming you checked/replaced the fuel pump?
      In this case might as well check your fuel pump relay too. Also it wouldn't hurt to check your main relay. Both are fairly inexpensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo19 View Post
        In this case might as well check your fuel pump relay too. Also it wouldn't hurt to check your main relay. Both are fairly inexpensive.
        if the starter is operating, the main relay is working.

how long does the car "run" when it starts and then dies? an ECU running an M20 without an AFM attached will fire up for several seconds, go up to like 2500RPM and then die. an M20 being started without an ECU attached or with a fried ECU at all will sound like it's trying to fire, but won't actually "run" at all.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          if the starter is operating, the main relay is working.

how long does the car "run" when it starts and then dies? an ECU running an M20 without an AFM attached will fire up for several seconds, go up to like 2500RPM and then die. an M20 being started without an ECU attached or with a fried ECU at all will sound like it's trying to fire, but won't actually "run" at all.
          To answer someone else's question first, the fuel pump is less then 6 months old and I did a fuel pressure test.

With everything plugged in the car tries to start like its SO close then just shuts right off. It doesnt actually run for any length of time. So the last part with my ECU plugged in it will try to start (I have spark on all 6 cyclinders and 40-45 lbs of fuel pressure while cranking)

Will I damage anything but unplugging the ECU and trying to start it to see if anything changes?

Comment

nope, it won't hurt anything
            cars beep boop

Comment

nope, it won't hurt anything
              What kind of condition do you think I will have if I try to start it with no DME? I would imagine I would at least lose the spark from the coil.

I just pulled the big black connector from the DME and tried to start it and all it does is crank.

Also I might add while putting everything back together I was trying to add coolant. I filled it up as much as I could until it wouldnt take anymore but it never did come out of the bleeder screw....this wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it? I know there is coolant going to the back of ther thermostat housing where the engine temp and coolant temp sensor are.
              Last edited by RWD BLOWS; 12-04-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

coolant shouldn't do anything for starting.

are your plug wires connected right at the distributor cap?
                cars beep boop

Comment

coolant shouldn't do anything for starting.

are your plug wires connected right at the distributor cap?
                  Yeah i didnt think it did and yes i tripple checked the plug wires.

Comment

interesting. starting to run out of options.

in addition to fuel pressure, it is worth testing to see if your injectors are opening at all. couple ways:

- get a noid light and plug one of the injectors into it, crank, look for blinky
                    - pull the rail, put cups under all the injectors, crank, look for gas
                    - just crank it a fuckton and smell the plugs for gasoline smell
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Well, i will say this all the injectors are new. I replaced them about 300-500 miles before tearing everything down. The ignition system is new and so is the fuel system minus the fuel pressure regulator but the fuel pressure tests basicslly confirms the FPR is working properly. If i try to start it a fukton it will start to smell like gas. Also just for shits and gigs i took the connector off for the TPS and i was getting 12v from pins 1 to 2 and pins 3 to 2 with the ignition on.

Comment

Test your temp sensor for proper ohms given cold or hot coolant temps. If it tests properly then you need to be sure that the signal is getting through to the ECU via the fuel injector harness round plug under the throttle body. I have seen a few of these pins be so rusted and corroded that there is no longer continuity in the connection. The car will never start on a cold day without that sensor info getting to the ecu.
                        The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Originally posted by wodcutr View Post
                          Test your temp sensor for proper ohms given cold or hot coolant temps. If it tests properly then you need to be sure that the signal is getting through to the ECU via the fuel injector harness round plug under the throttle body. I have seen a few of these pins be so rusted and corroded that there is no longer continuity in the connection. The car will never start on a cold day without that sensor info getting to the ecu.
                          I tested it throughout the harness for the injectors but not where it meets the plug under the manifold. I assume that it goes from there to the DME. So ili need to run some tests from there back to the DME. I checked the resistance of the sensor with the old one(which wasnt bad I just replaced it because I was there and its cheap) and I got the same thing. If I remember right it was around 2.5 ohms or something.

Comment

Are you near DC?
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

I work in DC/VA all the time, currently at St.Elizabeth hospital working on a project but I live in Harford County. I am like an hour n a half from DC

Comment

That's a little bit of a trek, if you were closer I wouldn't mind popping over to check it out.

Did you cut the zip tie that's holding the bitch tube spring down after replacing the intake manifold gaskets?
                                AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                                X