S50 swapped SC or TC for the track? Help w selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 swapped SC or TC for the track? Help w selection

What are some known (preferably kits ) setups for an E30 w an S50 swap for a track / weekend toy.

I found an E30 I like but before I buy I want to nail this down.

I’m coming from an b8 s4 w 350ish HP and I know the 240 or so isn’t going to satisfy me for long.

Yes I have searched high and low. I found the VF supercharger seems to be popular w e36 but only found one E30 / S50 Swap running it.

I found lots of turbo builds but no kits. I don’t want to have to rebuild the engine I know the compression ratio is on the high side for turbo at 10:8:1 stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brilliantrot 1991 325-1995 BMW S50 Engine S50 intake-headers Borla Pro XS- 318is Radiator Spal 16” pusher fan Cone filter Tuned by RK- Bilstein Sport dampers with IE springs -Z3 steering rack- 16” style 5 from E32 Wilwood 4 piston Dynapro calipers -EBC pads Volkswagen Corrado rotors stainless steel lines-E32 M5 master cylinder, 325iX brake booster, 2002ti remote reservoir-1996 325i driveshaft Z3 3.15 Torsen LSD Z3 1.8 shifter IS lip and spoiler Antenna deleted Euro Grilles

Should have posted my goal 350hp is what im looking for

Brilliantrot 1991 325-1995 BMW S50 Engine S50 intake-headers Borla Pro XS- 318is Radiator Spal 16” pusher fan Cone filter Tuned by RK- Bilstein Sport dampers with IE springs -Z3 steering rack- 16” style 5 from E32 Wilwood 4 piston Dynapro calipers -EBC pads Volkswagen Corrado rotors stainless steel lines-E32 M5 master cylinder, 325iX brake booster, 2002ti remote reservoir-1996 325i driveshaft Z3 3.15 Torsen LSD Z3 1.8 shifter IS lip and spoiler Antenna deleted Euro Grilles

Comment

A little confused on your title. Are you asking S/C S50 vs. Turbo S50? Or S/C S50 vs Turbo M20?

There are a lot of builds because there truly are no kits available. Buy what you want in pieces and choose one of the cheap manifolds or get a cu$tom one made.

S/C S50 would be less problematic on the track, but to be honest with you, you probably won't get satisfied for long with that either. I would go turbo myself because of power/variance in tuning/effect and I'm willing to tinker with it and not hate myself for it.

Remember to buy a big brake kit.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Thx for the input. It’ has an s50 motor. I guess I’m going to have to do some serious homework.

Comment

I tihnk either way, you will be piecing parts of it together yourself. I don't know of any supercharger kits that are designed specifically for 24v swapped e30's.

One of the things that attracted me to a turbo setup is the fact that you can pretty easily change the boost levels and mapping for street, highway pulls, track use, etc. With an electronic boost controller and a standalone ECU you open up a lot of possibilities.

Either way, from everything I have read, you will need to focus on cooling for track use, which is precisely why i went with a setrab oil cooler and a 3 row 23m radiator.

Comment

Thanks. After lots of reading I’m going turbo. The car already has a new aluminum radiator and pusher fan. Oil cooler and inter cooler will have to be part of the plan.

Comment

Working...
            X