Cant get o2 sensor off???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant get o2 sensor off???

need help on getting this off. ive used vice grips locked on very hard with a pipe to turn it and no luck {the vice grip moves and not the o2 sensor}

I had to chop it in half with a cutoff wheel, then use a 6 point impact socket with a 3/4 drive breaker while standing on the intake manifold...Eventually it broke free

Comment

not trying to cut it .

Comment

Soak it in PB blaster few.
        Or remove the whole exhaust

Comment

Try running the engine for a few minutes to warm things up thn hit it with pb blaster. I would use a socket or a crescent wrench than channel locks. Remember righty tightly lefty loosely
          sigpic

Comment

get it glowing red hot with a torch and then try and spin it out. theres a chance you are fucked cause once you do get it out the o2 bung threads will be pulled and ruined. Then you have to weld on a new threaded o2 bung

good luck

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

WTF

What kinda HACK ARE YOU. a good O2 socket is like 22 bucks, A good 6 point wrench is like 17 bucks and you can rent the fucking socket form vato zone for like 2 bucks. REALLY WTF Vice grips??? Why not try using the RIGHT FUCKING TOOLS FOR THE JOB, if you have room for a pair of vice grips and a pipe you have room for a 6 point box end or Socket and breaker bar FFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st off get some PB blaster and hose the shit out of it and let it soak in for a while and then using one of the correct tools for the job try it.

If that does not work, HEAT IS YOUR FRIEND put a bunch of it from a little propane torch (mapp gas is better) will do fine (I will assume you dont have access to a real torch outfit since we are using vice grips to try remove a O2 sensor) heat the shit out of the Bung and then try it even if you have to go the wrong way and work it back and forth just enough to break it lose.
              Last edited by mrsleeve; 04-06-2013, 01:34 PM.
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

no need to for curse words dude! theres nothing wrong with using vice grips. this is the 1st car that is giving me this problem.

even the e30 diy says to use a vice grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Nmccahera92 View Post
                  Soak it in PB blaster few.
                  Or remove the whole exhaust

thanks will try the pb blaster.:up:

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                    WTF

What kinda HACK ARE YOU. a good O2 socket is like 22 bucks, A good 6 point wrench is like 17 bucks and you can rent the fucking socket form vato zone for like 2 bucks. REALLY WTF Vice grips??? Why not try using the RIGHT FUCKING TOOLS FOR THE JOB, if you have room for a pair of vice grips and a pipe you have room for a 6 point box end or Socket and breaker bar FFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st off get some PB blaster and hose the shit out of it and let it soak in for a while and then using one of the correct tools for the job try it.

If that does not work, HEAT IS YOUR FRIEND put a bunch of it from a little propane torch (mapp gas is better) will do fine (I will assume you dont have access to a real torch outfit since we are using vice grips to try remove a O2 sensor) heat the shit out of the Bung and then try it even if you have to go the wrong way and work it back and forth just enough to break it lose.

QFT. Fo' Serious. Cut wire, use big ass socket or giant ass wrench. I don't even see how this is questioned.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

dont want to cut the wires . just want to take it out to inspect it

Comment

^

Jesus Christ an O2 sensor socket has a slot in the side of it for the wire so you dont have to cut it. Why not just UN HOOK the wire and slide a box end over the sensor. There are right tools for the job and wrong ones, then there are ones that might work in a pinch. This is not a pinch this is all I have to get you home or to civilization to fix it right kinda situation. Please tell me where in the Bentley for e30's it says to use vice grips on a O2 sensor. There is everything wrong with using vice grips, they round the shit off, they are for holding/clamping/ and use on fasteners that are ALREADY ROUNDED OFF or fucked up, and even then that is a last resort.

The thing is now you have likely fucked your self and will have to go spend the 32 bucks at the el-cheapo parts store for a replacement because you and your vice grips have rounded off the flats of the sensor and your going to have to mangle the shit out of it just to get it out of there to look at.

This is why I hate buying or working on cars stupid people have worked on first. You find shit like this all the time, and have to spend 2 days figuring out how to fix what they fucked up in 2 mins
                        Last edited by mrsleeve; 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM.
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by grays View Post
                          no need to for curse words dude! theres nothing wrong with using vice grips. this is the 1st car that is giving me this problem.

even the e30 diy says to use a vice grip.
                          the DIY is wrong. Vise grips are a last resort. They make a tool for this for a reason. Go buy the proper equipment. Using vise grips, adjustable wrenches and slip joint pliers as substitutes is like instead of wiping your windshield with a clean cloth, wiping it with a hammer.
                          Yours truly,
                          Rich
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Rigmaster
                          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                            ^

Jesus Christ an O2 sensor socket has a slot in the side of it for the wire so you dont have to cut it. Why not just UN HOOK the wire and slide a box end over the sensor.

The thing is now you have likely fucked your self and will have to go spend the 32 bucks at the el-cheapo parts store for a replacement because you and your vice grips have rounded off the flats of the sensor and your going to have to mangle the shit out of it just to get it out of there to look at.

This is why I hate buying or working on cars stupid people have worked on first. You find shit like this all the time, and have to spend 2 days figuring out how to fix what they fucked up in 2 mins

dude learn how to talk to people!
                            really name calling?? grow up!!
                            just stay the fuck out my post. i see all your posts has nothing to even do with e30"s!!

Comment

I am trying to help you.

Whats your point, many of us are still here and have moved on from the e30 big deal does not mean the information that I am trying to get though to you is any less relevant. On that note most of yours are trying to use this forum as your own private car lot for sale listings trying to flip shit.

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                              X