O-Ringing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O-Ringing Question

Next weekend I plan to start my m20 turbo build and have decided to pull the motor/trans to clean the engine bay and replace all seals and gaskets. I figured I might as well rent the Isky tool and oring the block while I'm at it. To the point: Can I o-ring the block without removing the internals?

ive done it, it wasnt too bad. Just take your time and periodically check ur depth.

Comment

Was it difficult to keep the metal shavings from falling into the cylinders? That's my main worry. I might just disassemble the block for peace of mind.

Comment

use a magnet and compressed air

Comment

I'v oring a few block in car without removing internals...just put a rag in the cylinders and blow it out after with compressed air.

Build Thread
          http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84988

"When In Doubt Boost It Out"
          ~89 325I Turbo 11.90 @ 121~
          ~ 420whp/420tq~
          15psi

~Paul Burke Built 2.8L Stroked M20
          ~666 Divided Mani T3
          ~6262 T3 Turbo
          ~O'ringed Block SS
          ~Custom Fuel System
          ~3'' Turbo Back
          ~50mm Tial Bov
          ~Dual Tial 38 Gates

Comment

Sweet, I'll try it with the internals in tact. Thanks guys!

Comment

I'd throw a bead of RTV between the cylinder wall and the edge of the piston. Without any surface prep it shouldn't stick, so it should remove with no problem. Vacuum out the cylinders after you're done and give them a quick wipe, peel the RTV off, and you should be set.

I wouldn't use a blow gun, you could potentially blow swarf down between piston & bore.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

And plug the oil drain back passages for the duration of chip-producing fun times.

Comment

Thank you all! Also, if I rent the tool from Isky, is it correct that I need the 100-grm size vs the 200-grm?

Comment

I didn't use rtv, but I did use some grease, ran it around the cylinder walls at the pistons, o-ringed, turned the rotating assembly, wiped each one out and boom.

I'd HIGHLY recommend you deck the block, which might mean you pull the guts, when we did my seta, the wire did't sit right in the groove. took it to the machine shop, had it surfaced flat.....perfection.
                    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Well, the deed is done. I wish I would've listened and threw a bead of silicone on top of the piston, sealing it to the cylinder wall, because A LOT of shavings fell into the cylinder. I was able to get all of the shavings out by vacuuming/blowing/carb cleaning the piss out of it. Before o-ringing, I lubed the top of the block and lightly ran a knife sharpening stone across, smoothing out any burs and smoothing out whatever imperfections may have been there (as per bimmerhead's instructions). Other than that, the cuts were fairly easy to make. I'm thinking about keeping the isky tool and renting it out to r3v members and friends for cheaper than isky offers it.

Comment

Where is SD are you located? SuFu area?
                        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                          Where is SD are you located? SuFu area?
                          Yep!

Comment

Working...