Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1991 318is M42 Temperature Gauge Sensor Location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 318is M42 Temperature Gauge Sensor Location?

Where is the temp gauge sensor on a 1991 318is M42? I've heard people say under the intake manifold, next to the coolant temp sensor, but I can't find it. Also heard people say it is on the thermostat housing. I've tried to get the plug off on the thermostat housing but I don't know how it comes off. Any help?
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

the black one:

Comment

Thank you. Does anyone know if that sensor is possible to access without removing the intake manifold? I'd just like to troubleshoot my temp gauge to make sure it is reading correctly as I think my car is running hot, but it's better to just buy a temp gun if I have to take the intake manifold off.

Would be a lot easier if I could read it from the thermostat housing sensor. Is that not a temp gauge sensor, as indicated in this post:

?

Off to drain + fill coolant now. Will update thread.

Comment

2 coolant temp sensors, 1 for guage, other for engine management. Both under manifold. The 1 for the guage is on the block behind the TB. The other is next to the oil pressure sending unit.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Interested to see the outcome of this. I believe I'm having the same issue

Comment

its definitely possible to reach without removing intake. Just need the right size wrench. should be a 19mm. the plug nearest the front of the engine is the engine coolant temp sensor (for the DME to use for the fuel injection) the one behind it is for the gauge on the cluster. good luck it will be a tight fit but totally doable!

Comment

Gonna be holding off on this repair until next weekend - found a fuel leak so that takes priority. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

The only sensor near the thermostat housing is the camshaft position sensor as seen here:

Comment

That e30tech write-up is for the M20, the sensors on an M42 are in different locations.

Comment

That pretty much answers my questions, thanks everyone who replied.

Comment

OP: www.M42club.com has a massive amount of info on your car's engine. I'd bookmark that site if I were you.
                      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Working...
                      X