Rear mount turbo setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear mount turbo setup

Just wanted a little help - first of all I know a rear mount kit is frowned upon by most but it's what I want to do and plan to run a smaller turbo and lower boost so won't need an inter cooler.

I've read over quite a bit over the different e30 sites but I still have a few questions. Please direct me else where if it's been answered...
    First, if the m20 engine has 150k will new head and value gaskets with timing belt and water pump prepare the engine to be boosted assuming it's running well.
    Secondly, I plan on getting the sts oil lube system and purchasing or fabbing the rest (turbo, piping, flanges, gauges). Does that sound some what reasonable?
    The thing I haven't found a definitive thread on is the real differences and in tuning options other than MS and WAR, are those the best way to go?

Thanks!

I never understood this whole 'no intercooler, low boost' thing. Nobody ever does it - really.
    The car isn't going to be fun either. You're going to be building a car with so many variable points of possible failure because of what a turbo system is, only to make small power and have a cam'd m52 swap car or high liter m20 pass you in a straight line disappointingly. If you want to boost the m20, BOOST the m20 efficiently. If you're doing it solely as a hobby/learning experience and to learn how a system works and to fab, then I applaud you as the DIY approach is a good (and costly) learning experience.

To answer your question, if you're going to be running low to no boost, I wouldn't even prepare anything on the motor with 150k. Probably just ARP head bolts and regular maint. With an EXCELLENT tune, your m20 isn't going to be bothered with anything lower than 280wtq.

Get MS. Don't even research why over the Miller WAR stuff. It's just better in every single way in my experience and many others on this forum. Plenty others and myself switched from WAR to MS because of problems and blunder.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Just go with the MS or a turbo chip for low boost. The m20 is plenty strong enough to accept 12-ish psi all stock (specially on a smaller turbo).

Honestly I have worked RMT and it's a huge pain compared to traditional mount. The e30 has plenty of room in the engine bay and you can put a small inter cooler if you plan on keeping the a/c condenser. You can also run no cooler for low boost.

Things to think about in a RMT. Engine oil either need to be circulated with a pump to a tank in the trunk (with a heat exchanger for best results), and even if you were to run the feed all the way from the engine, you will still need to pump it back from the drain. The piping under the car has now doubled, and believe it or not, it's a lot more work, fabrication, and in the end - more money.

Don't get me wrong, it can work, but is usually reserved for cars with very limited engine bay space.

Many people have had great success with the 524td manifold, small frame t3 and a decent turbo chip. I have had good success with the stock ecu up to about 1bar on several occasions.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post

Get MS. Don't even research why over the Miller WAR stuff. It's just better in every single way in my experience and many others on this forum. Plenty others and myself switched from WAR to MS because of problems and blunder.
        Rather than spend all the money on the WAR, might as well just get an emulator and learn to tune yourself. I have had no experience tuning the WAR stuff, but have has 2 clients recently ditch it in favor of me just dyno-ing the car and burning a chip. The MS is the best option IMO (I have used a few of Whodwho's PNP's, great product and service BTW), but the factory ECU isn't a bad option for a DIY'er on a lower budget. The very same Bosch Motronic ECU and AFM were used on the Porsche turbo stuff, and I have had good success and reliability from the Motronic up to 12-14psi. They do get picky when injectors start getting fairly large, though (50lb or more). 1bar takes 36lb/hr injectors to fuel an m20 which the ECU has no problem with.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Do you really think in the end it would be more trouble than conventional? I really am not trying to break 20 whp, just want a simple reliable setup with a broad torque curve.

mspnp or ms3?

Comment

Contact Whodwho here, he sells reasonable PNP ECU's. Plug it in and fire the car up.

Yes, it's a lot more trouble IMO. You're new here, so do some looking around. The 524td was a turbo diesel, with a little work the manifold can be used on your m20 for short cash. Small frame t3 will clear the valve cover, use an internal gate and you have a peppy m20 with room to grow.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

Will do, thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
              X