How much is a complete M54 swap worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is a complete M54 swap worth?

I’m thinking of switching up motors, I want more power as the m54 is giving me a taste of V8’s but it’s just too much of a tease. Engine runs great with 81k on it and many gaskets and lines replaced. So I was wondering how much the entire drivetrain would be worth. Including:

The engine:
    M54B30 (originally pulled out of a crashed e39 with ~73k miles, now has 81k)
    new Vanos line, valve cover seal, coolant hoses, m42 radiator brand new, new water pump, plenty of fresh zinc plated bolts, etc does not come with headers, or a harness, ECUs has been tuned and flashed by hankett in 2015.

The transmission/shifter:
    G260 with ~140k, brand new slave, chase bays clutch line, stock clutch and wheel, shifter is in good condition without a ton of play in gears.

Driveshaft, new cab, zinc plated steering rack link, RSI turbo manifold with no miles, Chase bays power steering kit and lines, brand new e28 mounts, stock fuel lines with zinc coated pieces, new fuel filter with zinc plated bracket, stock e30 fuel pump and e46 m3 fpr. possibly a fresh powder coated/reinforced front subframe (depending on what motor I get)

How much do you think this is worth? It is a 100% drop in kit, all you need is an exhaust and manifold, plus a harness and it is ready to drive. I can include compression numbers and an oil analysis. If I can’t get any money out of it I will probably just stick with what I have because it is still a blast to drive with a 3.46 lsd.

Thank you in advance.

I would guess it at $2000.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
      I would guess it at $2000.
      Everything for 2k? Damn thought it would be higher.

Comment

I sold a 59k mile M54b30 not long ago for $1000. Sadly they aren't worth much, especially since you could buy a whole car at auction for that.
        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
          I sold a 59k mile M54b30 not long ago for $1000. Sadly they aren't worth much, especially since you could buy a whole car at auction for that.
          I assume a part out of the motor would haul in more money then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
            Everything for 2k? Damn thought it would be higher.

Why would it be higher? You can buy a whole running 2001 330i manual for $2k. M54 stuff is super cheap now, they are all over junkyards

Comment

M54's aren't S54's. They were made by the 100's of thousands in common cars. A decent motor is worth $800-$1000 and a swap somewhere around $1500-$2000. This sounds like $2000.

Comment

Good to know. Appreciate all of the insight

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                  Yeah, huge bang-for-buck value- since I have one as a daily, the $1200
                  parts car with good engine and lots of extras was money well- wasted...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

..is it a ZHP motor Toby? I'm probably going M54 in the new ST car.
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Nah, convertible from late 2000. Honestly, the ZHP engine is so close to the standard B30
                      that it's not worth the effort for just the motor.
                      I was contemplating putting one in the 2002 and running SPM. Or an AP1 S2000 and SPU

Or just running the PRO3 car dead last for another season...

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                        Or just running the PRO3 car dead last for another season...

t
                        So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but only you have devised a clever way to subvert the rules.

Comment

It's not that clever-
                          I gots me some NAWS!

t
                          "I know he's cheating, because I'M cheating like a motherfucker, and he's still beating me!"

Comment

Just split it up.engine with oil pan should be around 1500 , trans 400 , steering setup and all accessories and voila.

Comment

Working...
                            X