front control arm bushing installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front control arm bushing installation

i was wondering if there's a way to install the front control arm bushing without getting the tool. Or is anyone here willing to let me borrow it ;)

I'm assuming you are talking about pressing the bushings into the lollipops? A bench vise will usually do it, or just take it somewhere and have them pressed in. Should cost more than $20 or so.

If you mean putting the bushing onto the control arm, a little soap for lube and a big hammer is all you need.

Comment

talking about bushing onto control arm. tried to the soap and hammer. maybe my hammer wasn't big enough.

Comment

Originally posted by posix View Post
        talking about bushing onto control arm. tried to the soap and hammer. maybe my hammer wasn't big enough.
        It's not about hammering, but steady pressure. Depending on your work space setup you can secure the control arm and sometimes physically press the bushing on the control arm end yourself. Also check out the end of the control arm and see if anything would interfere with bushing start.

Comment

We talking about ball joints here?

Comment

its how to get https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ireland-...30e36ucab~ire/ onto the control arm. (mine is rubber not urethane)

Comment

You can make a simple press with a few pieces of threaded rod and plate. Like this:

The one on the left is for getting the bushing off, the right for pressing it on. Instead of a rod at one end, use a plate.

Comment

yeee, im gonna do that today.

Comment

I just replaced the cabs on my sons car and I used a 1” ratchet strap to pull the lollipop onto the arm. With soap and steady pressure and wiggling they slid on easy.
                  My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                  I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
                  X