Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 racks: let's settle it once and for all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, thanks so much for posting this. This whole time i thought the 95 m3 rack was the best, and that the z3 rack would make your turning circle larger because you couldn't turn the wheel as far.

i guess once i get another e30 i'll be looking for a z3 rack then.
    http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

I'm curious to weight a e46 rack vs. the z3....

Does anyone have hard numbers for an e46 rack?
      Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

How is your post different from anyone else's regarding which steering rack is the best? You are quoting three bfc threads that have the same poster quoting his ratio numbers without any data to back them up. The majority of the other posters in those threads say that the z3 rack was not that much of an upgrade over the 95 m3 rack based on experience with both in their car. Unless you have first hand knowledge of all three rack types on an E30, you are just contributing to the mis-information available on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnarles View Post
          How is your post different from anyone else's regarding which steering rack is the best? You are quoting three bfc threads that have the same poster quoting his ratio numbers without any data to back them up. The majority of the other posters in those threads say that the z3 rack was not that much of an upgrade over the 95 m3 rack based on experience with both in their car. Unless you have first hand knowledge of all three rack types on an E30, you are just contributing to the mis-information available on this topic.
          e30pq has both z3 and 95 m3 racks. his assessment concurs with the OP's claim.

Comment

anyone tried a new 330 e46 rack?
            Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Originally posted by dnova89 View Post

So the regular z3 rack would be the best. Sucks for me cuz I JUST had my '95 M3 rack installed after I discovered this info. FML!!!!!

/thread
              Thanks so much for posting cliffs on that.

I WANT a progressive rack. I WANT nice, easy parking.

Sell me yours (as long as ZERO leakage) and you can buy a Z3 rack.

Hell, drive up and we will do the swap in my garage!

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Thanks so much for posting cliffs on that.

I WANT a progressive rack. I WANT nice, easy parking.

Sell me yours (as long as ZERO leakage) and you can buy a Z3 rack.

Hell, drive up and we will do the swap in my garage!
                How the hell could he drive from Cali to Washington? Wouldn't his car sink in the Indian Ocean?

Comment

Originally posted by LivingLegend06 View Post
                  How the hell could he drive from Cali to Washington? Wouldn't his car sink in the Indian Ocean?
                  smacked that motherfucker out the damn park, din'tcha?

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
                    anyone tried a new 330 e46 rack?
                    I've been looking at the 330i ZHP rack, but after a bit of research the Z3 rack is still the quickest option. And much, much cheaper.
                    Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                    A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Damn. Right after buying a 95 M3 rack I see this. Looks like it's time to sell the M3 rack now!
                      -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                        Damn. Right after buying a 95 M3 rack I see this. Looks like it's time to sell the M3 rack now!
                        You might want to not advertise that you've read this thread if you're going to try and get cash + the better E36 rack for a '95 M3 rack in the classifieds section.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                          You might want to not advertise that you've read this thread if you're going to try and get cash + the better E36 rack for a '95 M3 rack in the classifieds section.
                          I edited the post, thank you
                          -Alex

Comment

What is the E30 total and linear travel? Is the 95 M3 rack shorter than that as well? Even if it's not better than regular E36 or the Z3 racks it seems like it would definitely be better than the E30 rack.
                            -Alex

Comment

So how do any of these racks compare to the standard stock E30 rack? Is this stating that all E36 non-M racks are identical, and the '96-'99 M3 racks are the same except slightly lower total travel?

Comment

Originally posted by kendogg View Post
                                So how do any of these racks compare to the standard stock E30 rack? Is this stating that all E36 non-M racks are identical, and the '96-'99 M3 racks are the same except slightly lower total travel?
                                non-M E36 = Mcoupe/roadster = 96-99 M3, the 96-99 m3 does have slightly less travel.
                                Last edited by acolella76; 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM.
                                -Alex

Comment

Working...
                                X