RPM tach not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM tach not working

ok the other day i had the car in nutruel, reving the engine to around 1500 after she warmed up. then the rpm tach decided it didn't want to work, i tapped the plastic thinking it was just "stuck" at 0. nope nothing.

any ideas? im hoping its the gauge in the cluster, not a sensor or something...

hit the dash *seriously
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop?? ;-)
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    But of course
    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

check the si board and or a fuse

or hit the dash harder..

what else stopped working?

Comment

gonna hit the dash when i find my keys again... :/
        nothing that i noticed(yet). MPG meter still goes up and down.

Comment

Smack the side of the dash.. my tach stops working once in a while as well.

Comment

yeah i hit the damn thing all over, nothing!
            the mpg gauge moved around a bit.

ideas?

Comment

SI board needs replacing. What do you service intervals lights look like?
              '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

i need oil change and service...its on yellow, red goes on and off.(dash)

the ones by my sunroof-check brake light stays on even after reset.

my speedo works just fine...think that would be soon to go?
                thanks.

Comment

just get a used rpms gauge.. done
                  no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

Comment

Originally posted by matias88e30 View Post
                    just get a used rpms gauge.. done

This isn't a sure fix. I just replaced my whole cluster and my tach/eco still don't work. Could be dead si batteries.

Comment

the gauges themselves rarely break - they are just stepper motors. there aren't really any moving parts.

si batteries are likely dead.

there also is no "tach sensor". The tach get's it's signal from the ECU.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i've replaced my cluster for the third time and tach and mpg still aren't working.....what else could it be??

Comment

Originally posted by izickc View Post
                          i've replaced my cluster for the third time and tach and mpg still aren't working.....what else could it be??
                          The clusters you've tried could have bad SI board batteries or a bad SI board. the tachometer and econometer depend on the SI board.

The batteries in the SI board depend on unswitched power from the ignition to prevent them from discharging. If a cluster has been out of a car a running car for a while, the odds are that the batteries will be dead unless the cluster was opened and the jumper moved. That jumper would have to have been moved back before the cluster was installed.
                          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

oh man did i have this problem..i replaced my batteries and tach motor..ended up being a fuse..nobody here has said fuse so i would def check there check fuse 21 10 are the 2 main ones but 12 also runs the speedo and what not they are all 7.5a..i would go ahead and just change them..a good indication if the si board batts are dead would be to see if your led lights up when you turn the car on..let me know if that was it
                            Last edited by e30construction; 03-12-2013, 08:47 PM.
                            sigpic
                            93 325i 120k
                            mods: straight pipe,eibach sport springs,style 54s,kamotors carbonfiber cai,
                            future mods: chip, m3 cams, headers, turbo

Comment

Reviving this old thread with gratitude.

LOL just smacked my dash and BANG! the tach is working again.

That irritating feeling when something stops working on your e30, replaced by the elation of an easy fix.

I love R3V. Thanks!
                              Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                              1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                              Palm Beach County

Comment

Working...
                              X