No announcement yet.

Who's using a Child Seat in their e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30s don't have the LATCH system (specific metal anchors to attach carseats), so you just have to use the regular seatbelts like you would in any pre-2000 car. I'm partial to the Sunshine Radian 80 b/c both how narrow it is for fitting more seats and all the padding/neck support. It's not cheap, but I can fit three in the back of an E30 sedan. Proof below:

1991 Alpine 318i w/S52 swap

Comment

One tip - when using the rear shoulder belts to secure a car seat, pull the belt ALL THE WAY then feed it back it out when installing the seat. This will make it so the belt doesn't move freely but 'locks' into position when it retracts - making for a secure seat and not one that moves around.

I usually put in the car seat, thread the belt as needed, then pull the belt all the way out, then let it retract, then put my knee into the seat so get as much of the belt to feed back into the mechanism which makes for a very secure seat. I do release the tension on the seat by unlatching it if the seat isn't going to be used for a day or two.

Comment

i use two car seats on my vert

have a 2 year old and a 5 year old..

the Simpson car seat for my two year old fits perfect i wish i can find another one :)
        Buy e30 cup holders
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...41#post4159541

Buy BMW Motosports handles
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302846

Buy BMW MOTORSPORT valve covers http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=330146

sigpic

Comment

2 and 5 year old girls, I drive every day to school/daycare. My car scrapes the speed bump at her school every day, but I feel like a pretty cool dad every time I do it. 4 door Sedan makes it easy to load them up for sure.
          sigpic

Comment

My daughter is 3 1/2 and we go for long car rides every weekend. We are using a cheap $70 car seat (Evenflo Chase XL) in the e30, the good Recaro is in the wife's 540iT. The Evenflo works great, though it is a pain to move so we leave it installed and never move it to another car.

What everyone says about protecting the seat is true. We use the bottom half of the "Prince Lion Heart Seat Saver" to protect the seat, otherwise the vinyl (or leather in the case of your M3) will become permanently formed to the shape of the seat.

As for installation, I would say that properly installed the car seat is MORE secure when installed using the belt and retaining clip than a latch system. The child's seat in my e30 does not move 1/4" even when I grab the un-tethered top.

The secret is to adjust the retaining clip so that it is EXACTLY where it needs to be so you can just barely get the seatbelt closed when your full weight is on the car sear. This might mean installing and uninstalling the seat a few times, moving the retaining clip slightly and trying again. As long as the buckle and bolts do not fail that seat is not going anywhere - you'll know when it's installed right, the seat is SOLID. My wife reminds me that this is superior to latch but latch was invented because most people couldn't install car seats correctly.

If done correctly the tension of the shoulder belt does not matter - the retaining clip stops the belt from slipping or changing tension.

No closeup photos handy just this one:

Comment

Check this thread, there is a special latch in the parcel shelf that I believe is for further securing child seats.

I believe it's this triangle piece.
              sigpic
              TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
              FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

I've heard that's for keeping the middle seatbelt off the seat or some such, that it's only attached to the parcel shelf and not the frame itself. In the thread mentioned by mcskibadee1 there is discussion about a mythical "car seat kit" but I've never felt confident enough in that info to pull the trigger and order the parts.

Remember, we're talking cars from the early 80s. BMW didn't install LATCH systems standard until 2001. LATCH isn't a system that is legal to install as an "after market add on" so I doubt there's a kit for it.

Comment

Ive seen pictures that some members have posted of the RECARO child seat in an e30 and I must say it looks beefy and pretty safe!

Check it!

Comment

I have a regular e30 coupe but with m3 rear seats and mtech/micro combo. I kept delaying the use of the seat for damage to the my interior for two years. We eventually got a better seat for the wife's minivan and then the rear/front britax seat would be for another car. Well with baby number 2 here, I now need to take the 2 year old to school sometimes. So I bought a good seat protector as the width of the base is just a tad wider that the flat section and would touch the bolsters. With the pad it keeps it higher so not to affect the bolsters. The britax is very cool on how everything is used with the shoulder belt. It was rated high for safety so that is why we got it. Luckily my passenger seat is not in the car at the moment so she has all the leg room. She enjoys the car because it is small and I have a sound system. Also the almost 360 degree viewing angle is enjoyable to watch her reactions. It is fun with her in the car. After I drop her off, I remove the seat and stand it on the floor where the passenger seat goes. I then remove it at night and only add it in the morning when I need to take her. 5 min to add and remove. Key is how to keep seats protected if you are interested in that.

Here is a pic without the padded protector for refrence:

Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

No one has the bad ass sparco child seat?
                      87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

The Artisan, Kevin, has shown me a pic of a recaro car seat redone with mtech cloth. Also an office chair.

Here is something I found via google:

Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by mcskibadee1 View Post
                          Check this thread, there is a special latch in the parcel shelf that I believe is for further securing child seats.

I believe it's this triangle piece.
                          the triangle piece is for holding the center seatbelt. that's it. it's not for securing or attaching anything - the parcel shelf is basically just cardboard, not strong enough for that.

I put 2 carseats in my car all the time. Honestly, going back and forth between the latch system in our Subaru and the seatbelts in the E30, I prefer the seatbelts in the E30. when you pull them snug they actually lock tight, it's also easy and fast. The latch system has a tendency to bind up when you're tightening the straps, you can pull as hard as you can and it won't be tight enough, and it's a pain in the ass to hook up right.

basically, a properly installed shoulder belt is safer than an improperly installed latch system.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

not to knock anybodies parenting abilities, or decisions, but the last place i'd put my babyseat in...is in an e30.

it's not 1991 anymore.

my .02cents
                            Originally posted by flyboyx
                            i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

ok, thanks for the parenting advice. I usually go to a car forum when I'm not sure what to do with my own kids. ;)
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Damn, I swear I saw that in addition to the seat belt used on a car seat. Anyway, good to know what is actually meant for.
                                sigpic
                                TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                                FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Working...
                                X