Who's using a Child Seat in their e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this thread cracks me up
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop?? ;-)
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    But of course
    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

I use this one in the M3. The base is narrow - it fits nicely in the rear 'bucket' seat.

I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Hard to see in this pic but we have a Recaro (the good one with speakers in the head rest) in the e30. Our "big car" is a MK4 Jetta TDI Wagon. Admittedly it's safer than the e30 but the e30 is a shitload safer than my 912.

John
        The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

Originally posted by mcskibadee1 View Post
          Check this thread, there is a special latch in the parcel shelf that I believe is for further securing child seats.

I believe it's this triangle piece.
          Originally posted by nando View Post
          the triangle piece is for holding the center seatbelt. that's it. it's not for securing or attaching anything - the parcel shelf is basically just cardboard, not strong enough for that.

I put 2 carseats in my car all the time. Honestly, going back and forth between the latch system in our Subaru and the seatbelts in the E30, I prefer the seatbelts in the E30. when you pull them snug they actually lock tight, it's also easy and fast. The latch system has a tendency to bind up when you're tightening the straps, you can pull as hard as you can and it won't be tight enough, and it's a pain in the ass to hook up right.

basically, a properly installed shoulder belt is safer than an improperly installed latch system.
          There actually IS an anchor point on the rear deck, under the parcel shelf.
          Pull the rear parcel shelf and you will see a couple of threaded metal inserts in the shelf for attaching the strap that attaches to the top of a child seat. You need to drill a small hole brought the cardboard shelf so you can attach the bolt, spacer and bracket for the child seat kit.

I have one I my M3

This is what the kit looks like
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

I ran with the respective sized recaro seats. Their materials have outlasted the three other brands, and the side impact protection is a huge benefit that nearly all other manufacturers dont address. Recaro kids seats are huge on side impact and protection.

+1 for the belts being better than the flimsy latch system that is typically loose even when you think its not.

Any more pics on that info for the rear shelf Todd?
            sigpic

Comment

I may have some from my install on my old computer, but I will take a pic of the position on the rear deck tommorrow.
              I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
              2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Part numbers on this thread.

2010 F650gs twin

Comment

My son is 3.5. I have a seat which will be good until he no longer needs one (at 80lbs). It just secures with the seat belt, don't have to use the built in straps anymore. I put him in the front seat unless I have a passenger, because getting him in an out of a coupe is a bit of a pain. And he likes being up front with daddy anyway! :)
                  Estoguy
                  1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
                    I ran with the respective sized recaro seats. Their materials have outlasted the three other brands, and the side impact protection is a huge benefit that nearly all other manufacturers dont address. Recaro kids seats are huge on side impact and protection.

+1 for the belts being better than the flimsy latch system that is typically loose even when you think its not.

Any more pics on that info for the rear shelf Todd?
                    My daughter has been in a Recaro since she was old enough for a front-facing. The side-impact panels are a great support for her head when she falls asleep, too.

Comment

Funny I survived being a killed from the 60's...no seat belts nor kid seats. Use to ride in the third row of the Vista Cruiser. Dad would let me drive when I was about 7 in the Ford Galaxy 500 4 speed, stupid fun in a big parking lot.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                        Funny I survived being a killed from the 60's...no seat belts nor kid seats. Use to ride in the third row of the Vista Cruiser. Dad would let me drive when I was about 7 in the Ford Galaxy 500 4 speed, stupid fun in a big parking lot.
                        I grew up in the seventies with a similar lack of safety precautions.

In the eighties, four or five of us would ride in the open bed of a pickup truck, going back and forth to keg parties and such.

It seems that the number of cars on the road has doubled, easements have disappeared, drivers have far less training than in the past, and the average mass of vehicles the seems to have tripled.

In the E30 it feels like passenger's heads are at bumper level of SUVs and full-size pickups.

If there is a reasonable option for a safer experience, I will select it ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                          I may have some from my install on my old computer, but I will take a pic of the position on the rear deck tomorrow.
                          Would much appreciate seeing how you mounted that through the rear shelf. Having an original sunshade rear shelf I am not too excited to cut into it, so I want to have a reference first. :)
                          sigpic

Comment

My son in his recaro.

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                              I grew up in the seventies with a similar lack of safety precautions.

In the eighties, four or five of us would ride in the open bed of a pickup truck, going back and forth to keg parties and such.

It seems that the number of cars on the road has doubled, easements have disappeared, drivers have far less training than in the past, and the average mass of vehicles the seems to have tripled.

In the E30 it feels like passenger's heads are at bumper level of SUVs and full-size pickups.

If there is a reasonable option for a safer experience, I will select it ;)
                              yes, having your kid properly strapped in a car seat in an E30 is totally the same as having 5 kids in the back of an open pickup bed. :roll:
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I got one of the convertible seats, to keep him rear facing as long as possible.

Some pics in the e30, then in the newer e34. From reading, even in the touring there is a spot for that same top tether somewhere... Hmm.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X