Please proofread my wiring diagram - E30 S52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luckysnafu View Post
    When I say OBD2 port I'm talking about the port under the dash on an e36 that you can hook up to an OBD2 reader/bluetooth adapter.

No, you don't need to run a new wire from the round diagnostic port, you just need to tap into pin 17 to get the signal for the OBD2 port. On my cars I actually got rid of the round diagnostic port because it takes up too much room and just use the OBD2 port for diagnostics.

Hope this makes sense.
    Yes this makes more sense. I am thinking this means I need to go to the junkyard and get the "OBD2 port harness" aka the physical port + wires?

Yea, I was thinking about getting rid of it too. But isn't the diagnostic port the one that has the "write" capability to the ecu? SO if I wanted to flash a tune onto the ecu I would need that round diagnostic port?
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

you don't really need the OBD2 style port, you can just use the existing OBD port and get a 20 pin adapter for like $5.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        you don't really need the OBD2 style port, you can just use the existing OBD port and get a 20 pin adapter for like $5.
        I like that idea. And just route the port into the cabin under the dash somewhere?

What about retaining the "write" capability? Or would that be retained because I just use an adapter?
        Shadetree30

Comment

you don't need to rout it anywhere, you just pop the hood and use the port right there. the main advantage of the OBD2 port is you can more easily log while driving or something, but on the E36 motors they just aren't that advanced that it would really matter.

you'd be able to write to it just the same as long as the k-line is hooked up.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            you don't need to rout it anywhere, you just pop the hood and use the port right there. the main advantage of the OBD2 port is you can more easily log while driving or something, but on the E36 motors they just aren't that advanced that it would really matter.

you'd be able to write to it just the same as long as the k-line is hooked up.
            Sorry, yes I get what you are saying. I actually have an adapter already
            Shadetree30

Comment

So I am having an issues with my ms41.1 swapped car where the round diagnostic port will power my obd2 scanner but no connection can be made. I linked c101 pin 6 to x20 pin 22 for switched power, c101 pin 12 to x20 pin 1 for CEL, and c101 pin 16 to x20 pin 17.

Does anyone have any clue why it won't communicate? Did I miss a wire connection? Pin 16 on X20 is currently not connected to anything.

Another member said to splice something into pin 17 on obd connector, but I'm not sure about that.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
              John

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X