Honda K24 swap interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rover215 View Post
    I think the only thing I'll miss is the sound. Hard to beat the sound of an M20. Even my all-torque-and-no-poke eta sounds great under load. I don't think most 4 bangers sounds that great, but I'll manage :)
    Yeah, that's really the major thing holding me back, and also keeping it BMW/original-ish. The M20 is a great sounding motor even by the standard of inline sixes. Personally I think the F20c sounds quite good, and the K series doesn't sound quite as good, but still pretty good as far as four bangers go, but it doesn't hold a candle to the ol' M20.

My M20 has given me a lot of trouble though - I've had this car since 2011, it didn't idle right when I bought it, but I figured it was something simple. Seven years later, still doesn't idle right even though it has all new gaskets and even an entirely different block and head - because the original motor spun a bearing, and then the replacement spun a bearing after <2k miles.

...So as much as I like it, and want to keep it, if it gives me any more shit, it's gonna be makin' way for a K series.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to see that this idea would be generally welcomed in the E30 community.

I don't expect that this would be for everyone, but there's enough appeal that we want to see it happen.

I love the sound of a straight six, but a rowdy high RPM K series is also pretty special:
      David Calzada
      KMiata Inc.
      KMiata.com

Comment

I see the guys at Speed Academy are doing a K-swap on a 240sx which is also front sump. I imagine the same oil pump and pan setup would work on an E30.

****SCAMMER ALERT**** DO NOT DEAL WITH ANYONE POSING AS KEN WAGEN OF SPEED ACADEMY OR ANY GMAIL ACCOUNT. ONLY PETER@SPEED.ACADEMY or DAVE@SPEED.ACADEMY ARE LEGIT EMAIL ACCOUNTS, ANYTHING ELSE IS A SCAM!! Whether it's modified road cars or fully built track cars, we're all about finding ways to make the machines we love faster and more fun. Peter Tarach and Dave Pratte, the driving forces behind Speed Academy, have been building, modifying, evaluating and racing cars for over two decades. Peter, Dave are diehard enthusiasts who know a thing or two about testing performance parts and building cars.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get very creative with my oil pump setup. The E36 crossmember appears to sit directly below the oil pump drive (chain/sprocket) and I only have about 5 1/2-6" clearance from the crank centerline to the top of the crossmember. This is just eye balling though. I've yet to place the engine into the engine bay of the car. Measuring the K20 crank centerline to just slightly below the sump pickup looks like about 8". But that's back a ways from the crossmember.

Comment

We have a K24 physically in an e30 chassis right now. Pan and oil pickup needs to be custom but it's all very doable. Way easier packaging than the Miata chassis gave us!
            David Calzada
            KMiata Inc.
            KMiata.com

Comment

..but how far back does it sit in the engine bay KMiata? I think the benefit to doing this swap is being able to push the CG back more to almost centered..
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

It should sit pretty far back. I doubt it would sit too far forward. No reason it cant sit against the firewall i dont think.
                Originally posted by Good & Tight
                It takes real man to mount a big woman, all you haters are just scared boys.

Comment

..oil pan clearance would be a deciding factor.
                  2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Well if they have one in the car already. And him saying that it will need a custom pan and pickup. Hopefully they can design it with a good capacity and sits high.
                    Originally posted by Good & Tight
                    It takes real man to mount a big woman, all you haters are just scared boys.

Comment

Originally posted by agile30 View Post
                      Well if they have one in the car already. And him saying that it will need a custom pan and pickup. Hopefully they can design it with a good capacity and sits high.
                      Pan clearance can easily be made to keep stock ground clearance, and the transmission will be mounted in the stock location, so the engine sits all the way back like any BMW engine would.
                      David Calzada
                      KMiata Inc.
                      KMiata.com

Comment

Originally posted by KMiata View Post
                        Pan clearance can easily be made to keep stock ground clearance, and the transmission will be mounted in the stock location, so the engine sits all the way back like any BMW engine would.

Cool. Be curious to see the mock up once you are ready to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Giggling with excitement haha
                          Hank Ahrens
                          1984 Alpine Coupe
                          1978 911sc

Comment

This is really cool
                            Build Thread
                            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
                            Parts Thread
                            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

KMiata- what're you thinking for best wiring? Power steering options? I'll be keeping my air conditioning and heat, but I think there will be lots of wire elimination. And is the drive-by-wire an issue?
                              I'd also like to see how close in size/ shape the TSX gauge cluster is (2008) to the stock e30 cluster. They're similar. Hoping to get my engine by June.

Comment

Originally posted by rover215 View Post
                                Power steering options? I'll be keeping my air conditioning and heat, but I think there will be lots of wire elimination. And is the drive-by-wire an issue?
                                Is power steering really needed for a k24? I'd be curious about the swap weight compare do a stock m20 or m42. I dd my 318is without power steering and it's manageable, I'd put money on a k24 weighing about the same. Curious about drive by wire as well, since I'm pretty sure at least some k20s came with a throttle cable.
                                Hank Ahrens
                                1984 Alpine Coupe
                                1978 911sc

Comment

Working...
                                X