M50 swap that will blow your mind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
    This is perfect timing for me. I am gathering parts for a M54 swap and have been looking through my braking options. I just pulled the trigger on one off ebay. These things are cheap.

Do you happen to know the e90 master cylinder specs compared to the E30 one?

You can’t go wrong with them. I don’t know the spec on them but it’s way better then stock e30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Onwer of
    1987 e30 325e soon to be s50
    1991 e30 318i four door
    1994 e34 530i 5speed
    05 e53 X5 4.4i fully loaded

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
      What is the diameter of this booster?

10in

Onwer of
      1991 e30 318i four door
      1994 e34 530i 5speed

Comment

I'm interested in this for sure. What would you charge for a pin? I haven't looked into it as I am just now reading this, but it would be sweet to make a parts list, and see what else is needed and if those parts a reasonable to order new.

Comment

Potentially in for a pin depending on price...

Comment

Only downside to the e90 booster is the brake line outlets point toward the engine. The x3 has similar specs, but outlets point in the same direction as stock. Lines will still need to be modified a bit though, as the thread size is a bit larger like the e90. Also, my X3 booster/mcyl is TRW. The e90 I tried is ATE. Although they look identical, there is a slight difference in mcyl push rod bore, so booster and mcyl need to be from same manufacture.

I'm using this setup with the 5 lug swap w/ e46 m3 brakes. Awesome combo.

Comment

I'll also need a pin
              Originally posted by Sonny
              I am a meme for our community.

Comment

I'll also need a pin

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
                Potentially in for a pin depending on price...

This is perfect timing for me. I am gathering parts for a M54 swap and have been looking through my braking options. I just pulled the trigger on one off ebay. These things are cheap.

Do you happen to know the e90 master cylinder specs compared to the E30 one?

Originally posted by jwal View Post
                I'm interested in this for sure. What would you charge for a pin? I haven't looked into it as I am just now reading this, but it would be sweet to make a parts list, and see what else is needed and if those parts a reasonable to order new.

So the people that are interested in the pins or would like to be interested in getting one, what would be the ideal price of the pin. It takes about 45 minutes to make on the lathe and a couple bucks in material. What do you guys think I should sell them for.

Onwer of
                1991 e30 318i four door
                1994 e34 530i 5speed

Comment

I'd be in for a pin. Might be a good idea to post in the group buy section if you're serious about making them. Less than $25-$40 range is super reasonable.
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

$35 including shipping?
                    Originally posted by Sonny
                    I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Another one made.

Onwer of
                      1991 e30 318i four door
                      1994 e34 530i 5speed

Comment

That e90 brake booster looks interesting. Mine has vw golf booster which works well. But now that I have driven e39 for whole winter, I really like the large amount of brake assist it has. I would like to have that in e30 also. But the e39 booster is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                          That e90 brake booster looks interesting. Mine has vw golf booster which works well. But now that I have driven e39 for whole winter, I really like the large amount of brake assist it has. I would like to have that in e30 also. But the e39 booster is huge.

This booster is a huge upgrade compared to the old one and the other options people do. I’ve been driving the car for about two weeks now and it still surprises me.

Onwer of
                          1991 e30 318i four door
                          1994 e34 530i 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
                            Only downside to the e90 booster is the brake line outlets point toward the engine. The x3 has similar specs, but outlets point in the same direction as stock. Lines will still need to be modified a bit though, as the thread size is a bit larger like the e90. Also, my X3 booster/mcyl is TRW. The e90 I tried is ATE. Although they look identical, there is a slight difference in mcyl push rod bore, so booster and mcyl need to be from same manufacture.

I'm using this setup with the 5 lug swap w/ e46 m3 brakes. Awesome combo.

It looks like the diameter is smaller (10") but the length is more like an ix booster.

I'm not clear on where the pin goes, is it between the MC and the booster or at the clevis for brake pedal? (sorry, been a while since I've had my brakes apart).

Regarding the mismatch in brake line fitting thead size, how are they modified to fit?

Comment

does anybody know if other masters will bolt up and seal correctly to this booster, and what the diameter difference is compared to the e32/ix booster? im getting tired of my e32 booster and 25mm master in everyday driving since its kind of like stepping on a rock, and the pedal is noticeably higher than the gas and clutch pedals because of the bore size. ive ordered an e36 master in 23/20mm that looks like it should work, and hopefully increase my pedal travel and decrease effort. if the master will fit i might try this booster at the same time

Comment

Subscribed.

I'd love a full write up if possible?, looks extremely interesting and I would go this route including purchase of pin. I'm in the midst of upgrading my front brakes with wildwood BBK and new e32 master. If it were to match this booster, my braking would be ridiculously awesome.

Thanks in advance for this.
                                @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Working...
                                X