No announcement yet.

N54 swaps now possible :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually been meaning to talk to you about that. Our friend Pete that passed away, well the shop that had his car was able to get it into the hands of an enthusiast - and now he wants to build a head. I'll have to put you in contact with him (that head was Pete's too).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      Actually been meaning to talk to you about that. Our friend Pete that passed away, well the shop that had his car was able to get it into the hands of an enthusiast - and now he wants to build a head. I'll have to put you in contact with him (that head was Pete's too).

Yeah, we had a text conversation about Pete, very unfortunate. I stuck the head on a shelf figuring we would do something with it before too long. Wife needs a new daily and was attempting to get an n52-powered car, but stumbled on a super clean one owner e39 540i/m6 M-Tech that a shop client hydro-locked the motor during a heavy rain last week. Too good of a deal to pass up as a "mechanic's special". So, will have a core from the m62 to play with now too. :) Now if there were just more hours in a day...
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm thinking he is willing pay for the headwork, I'm sure that helps! I'd love to see what an N52 head could do with some massaging. There's also work happening on getting an exhaust cam made (we already have 11mm intake lift with the MILVS).
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Might not even need a lot of massaging. I have been working on valve shape, seat angles and throat diameters and found good power without even grinding any of the ports on the e36 24v stuff - which are horrible raw casting in comparison to the n5x or s54 stuff.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
            I'd be interested in an N52 if we can figure out a bolt-on solution for the oil pan and a dipstick. I would also want the EWS delete etc in the public domain like MS43 and MSS54.
            I'd love to see something bolt on, but there'd have to be a whole lot of interest for that to happen. I think the stuff with the E30/S54 subframes would carry over pretty well though. Or use the steel pan, which should be easier to modify.

as far as the EWS deletes being public - well, when you spend 3-4 years and hundreds of hours building and hacking the disassemblies, and writing software that makes it possible to modify and flash them - then sure, you can do that if you wish. :p
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'd love to see something bolt on, but there'd have to be a whole lot of interest for that to happen. I think the stuff with the E30/S54 subframes would carry over pretty well though. Or use the steel pan, which should be easier to modify.

as far as the EWS deletes being public - well, when you spend 3-4 years and hundreds of hours building and hacking the disassemblies, and writing software that makes it possible to modify and flash them - then sure, you can do that if you wish. :p

I would love to have an n52 e30. I have my shell that has been sitting since Apr '16 where I last did any welding on the cage. Would be a good candidate to fab some stuff up.

...and I hear 'ya on the tuning/coding side of things. You can't get that time back. Every time someone asks for help on a tune, they balk at the price, until they see how well their car runs after just a few datalogs. It's one thing when there's a group working on the hacks, it's another when one or two people are doing all the legwork.

On another note, I am happy to see the BMW market opening up to coding/tuning. It was such a black art for so long, whereas the GM community I came from, there were several people working to making it open source. Now, the OBD1 GM stuff can do just about anything a stand alone computer can do. The entire code has been re-written and all in/outputs are fully programmable.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Yeah, or maybe someone else will want to donate their effort for the good of the community. :D Yeah, the steel pan sounds like a good option. That would be easy to modify.
                Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Actually you know, I wouldn't mind paying for a license to use a N52 EWS delete etc application if someone wants to make one.
                  Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

It’s being actively worked on. No one is going provide how they did it for free. There are a few east coast shops that I’ve heard are close. There is also n52/54 standalone available from Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                    84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                      Actually you know, I wouldn't mind paying for a license to use a N52 EWS delete etc application if someone wants to make one.
                      AFAIK, I'm the only one who has an EWS delete for the N52 or N54.

You mean like resale? That is potentially an option.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

AFAIK, I'm the only one who has an EWS delete for the N52 or N54.

You mean like resale? That is potentially an option.

Been trying to get in contact with you. Do you have to keep the DSC for this swap? I’m currently working on my build and what do you charge to delete some of the modules I don’t need. I can keep my EWS since I have a complete donor car

Thanks in advance

Comment

Man, If I could relatively cheaply swap an N54 motor into my 2003 Z4 I would be SO happy!!
                          2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
                          1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
                          1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

That would be relatively simple, since Z4s came with the N5x engines from the factory.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Only 2009 and up. Mine currently has an M54B30...

edit: Oh crap, actually the e86's had N52's didnt they?
                              2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
                              1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
                              1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

2006 had the N52.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X