Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way to duplicate stone chip on front panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to duplicate stone chip on front panel?

The front panel on my car is bent up. I purchased a used panel which had been painted rather badly. I used some paint stripper which also stripped the rubberized stone chip. I now have the panel back to primer. Is there a way to duplicate that stone chip that I can paint to match?
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

truck bed liner
    1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
      truck bed liner
      No, not at all.

The product that you want is 3M Rocker Schutz.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

The problem with the 3m Schutz is it requires a special application gun. 3m and SEM sell a “stone guard” in a spray can.

Comment

The 3m rocker shultz is the best as it will stick much better than any spray can product.

As far as replicating it with aerosol, I have used Duplicolor (UC101), 3m (08882), and SEM (39523), all with decent result, just make sure you practice a little to get an even texture. The Duplicolor is available at most local parts stores, 3m and SEM came from an automotive paint supply house.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I’ve had good results with the 3m spray can. And I would second the recommendation that you practice. And apply only under ideal conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyledge View Post
              I’ve had good results with the 3m spray can. And I would second the recommendation that you practice. And apply only under ideal conditions.
              I have had a huge number of really bad experiences with aerosol rubberized undercoating, including the 3M spray cans. One of the big issues that I have had is that if you apply it in a comparable to stock thickness, it always seems to crack.

Furthermore, the texture does not come out anything like stock. Assuming that you have access to compressed air (and it's worth getting access), an undercoating gun is dirt cheap.

And rocker schutz will last for years and years and years.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                I have had a huge number of really bad experiences with aerosol rubberized undercoating, including the 3M spray cans. One of the big issues that I have had is that if you apply it in a comparable to stock thickness, it always seems to crack.

Furthermore, the texture does not come out anything like stock. Assuming that you have access to compressed air (and it's worth getting access), an undercoating gun is dirt cheap.

And rocker schutz will last for years and years and years.

I guess the Chinese knock offs have done it again...

The 3m gun is over $100 at the local supply house.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

My vote is with SEM Chip Guard. I did my cabrio rockers 5 years ago and they look as good as any 30yo rockers can :)
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I picked up some 3M Rocker Schutz and prepared the panel, now I need some warmer weather.

Next question, after applying the 3M Rocker Schutz should I use some primer to even out the color before spraying the final color coat?

Comment

Thanks all for the help. I often get frustrated with people that don't update or close their thread with a solution so here goes!

I stripped the panel to steel, a few coats of Eastwood 2K Epoxy primer and sanded. Used the beige Rocker Schultz @ 45 PSI, 3 passes seemed about right. To even out the color, another coat of the Epoxy primer. Then a few coats of PaintScratch rattle can. Finally, a few coats of Eastwood 2K clear.

Painting at this level is new to me and I did learn that EVERYTHING shows in the paint. Lesson learned, but I'm happy with the result.

Now the rest of the car needs it....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the update and for letting us know how it turned out!

Comment

Working...
                        X