ZF clicking noise when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently I installed a lower mileage ZF320 in my car. However, when the transmission is cold, it makes a very pronounced clicking/snapping noise when put into gear. I crawled under the car and confirmed its from the selector shaft, as it’ll “pop” into its final position. There is also a fair amount of fore & aft play as well, which can be felt in neutral when cold. It's as though the selector shaft is being overextended.

Once the transmission is hot from driving, the issue seems to go away, and the play disappears from the shifter as well. This is the third ZF that’s been in the car, and the other two didn’t have this issue. I did the detent service and installed a fresh selector joint and shifter cup bushing, etc. It’s and MTF sticker trans and I’m using the Fuchs Titan MTF 75W80 with an M20 clutch/flywheel combo. Is there another fluid concoction I should try instead?

My e36 uses the same fluid in its higher mileage ZF trans without any issues (albeit with the dual mass flywheel). The trans might have something wrong internally, but thought it’s worth trying to see if there’s a fix while it’s still in the car.

Zf sg320 selector shaft looks like this.
    It’s extremely simple; if you have play something inside is worn out.

It lives in this hole. No magical fluid will fix something loose inside

OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Ah man! I guess its luck of the draw with 20+ year old parts. Thanks for the pics though, as it helps to explain what's going on in the transmission.

Comment

Working...
      X